Chapter 4 - Selection

So begins the story of our Calamity, little did she know her seemingly simple life was about to change forever

(Calamity's POV)

I'm what you might call an average farm girl.

Farm, a large plot of land, loving family, stable trade, the whole shebang.  Country music playing 24/7 (Not my favorite but you have to take what you can get), friendly folk, and nice little town to live in.  Some say I would be living a peaceful, simple, easy life.

But when you're from my town, under our government, this life is deceivingly peaceful.

You see, the Husks have taken over the world, leaving chaos and destruction in their wake.  While our town was able to be in a safe haven, certain people rose to power with more than just survival on their minds.  They were looking for blood, cold blood.  The common goal of each citizen is to reach the true safe haven known as the Fortnite Island.  There lived no Husks, no famine, no war, and seemingly no pain.  Certain countries usually pick their top individuals, using tests, in order to be taken to this island.  Most of these tests are usually physical or mental, and the best are picked to go.  The others then wait for their next chance like all the others.

But when you're from my town, it's not so simple, nor so safe.

The government instead decided to make the selection more, interesting.  They drew up a small battle royale of the best-suited fighters, all randomly chosen in the selection process 2 days prior.  Now I bet you're thinking 'Oh a battle royale if you die you respawn and try next year huh hah!'

No buck-a-roo, this is no game, this is life or death.  You die, you stay dead.  Believe me, I have lost many in this 'battle royale', those being close friends, Ashe and Mccree being notables.  But I've also lost those closer, my older brother Deadfire, was selected 2 years ago.  His last words to me were 'I'll make it back, don't you worry'.

We never heard from him again, his body confirmed to be found lifeless on the battlefield.

How much I yearn to leave this place.  My poor mother and father are growing weary by the year, there's not much time left for them both, not after Deadfire's death.  I never wished to leave them, but the only true escape from the cruel clutches of this tyranny is on the island.  However, I am not ready to depart from this life, for a hole in my soul remains, but with no hint on how to fix it.  Each night I stare at the stars and think of what could be different.  One night I managed to watch a shooting star fly across the sky, and immediately I made a wish.

A wish for change, for a rebirth, for something to give me hope to carry on.

Afterward, I contemplated how desperate I am, to wish on a space rock to bring change into my life.  I could take any chance I could get, anything, to get away from this dreadful life.

------ Selection Day ------

The sun slowly rose over the horizon, shooting beams of light through my window.  Of course, it landed right on my eyes while I peacefully slept, dreaming of a better world.  The light showed through there too, blinding me and forcing my miserable self to wake up.

"Fuckin- uggh." I groaned, slowly turning over in bed.

I manage a peek at the clock next to my bed