Chapter 5 - The Search

(Drift's POV)

"Where is Brite?  What did you do to her?" I shout at the cloaked man

"Oh, don't you worry about her.  We're doing her a little favor that's all.  She is capable of much more in this life.  There's only one thing in her way"

"What could that possibly be?"

"You."

I hear a rift open up behind me, the cloaked man grabs me by the shirt, lifting me to his face.  Revealing himself for the first time.

"This ain't no ordinary rift here.  It's one to fix the mistakes of the past, by sending you home."

"No.  You won't get away with this."

Brite shuffles in the corner, slowly coming back to consciousness.

"Times up buddy, it's time to say goodbye."

"D- Drift?"

Her eyes meet mine, but only for a split second.  Just enough time for her to understand the situation.  Her face drops to give a look of utter horrification.

"B- Brite!  I'll be back so-"

"Ta-ta for now!"

I'm forcefully shoved into the rift.  Everything goes dark and silent, pressure increases, all air in my lungs are pushed out, and the island fades away.

Next thing I knew I was falling.  Falling back to the place I used to call 'home'

I jolt awake, frantically searching for Brite, hoping it all was a dream.  A moment of pain ensues, as the past day's events are brought back to mind.

I miss her so much, but she's out there, and I need to find her.

Sunlight was slowly creeping in through the window, ringing in the new day with what was thought to be happiness, but currently felt like a looming dread.

What if she's not... here?  What if something happened to her?  What if she... no.  No, I can't think like this.  Not after all we've been through together.  I will fight for you, even if it means sacrificing everything.

------ (Y/N's POV) ------

I slowly stir in the bed, regaining consciousness from a deep slumber.

My eyes flutter open slowly and I turn to peak at the clock

7:29 AM

Shit.  I'm going to be late, again.

I jump out of bed and rush to the dresser to get clothes for work, but I stop and take a second to look around.

Where the hell am I?

The room was unfamiliar, definitely not my apartment that's for sure.  It was smaller, but not too noticeably, and unfamiliar furniture was scattered everywhere.

Am I still sleeping?

Then it hits me, the past day's events from the rift to meeting Rex and Cuddles.  I look around again and slowly comes back to me that I'm in Brite and Drift's apartment.

Unbelievable, I'm not dreaming, I'm actually here.

Knock Knock

An audible knock comes through the door, startling me, but moves aside as I realize that it's likely Drift looking for me.