Chapter 32 - The Siege (Part 2)

(Y/N's POV)

Every part of me ached for rest, but the adrenaline ran through my veins as if it were a normal component of my blood. I was sure that my one leg was damaged, however, there was no time for a medic. The cut on the side of my face had already healed enough to stop the flow of blood, and my sight finally returned to normal vision.

Calamity quickly analyzed my state with a growing look of concern, but as she went to question my health we were interrupted.

"Sorry to break up a cute moment, but we've got some company"

Drift scampered over, his dust mask torn in some places along with his coat. The force of the lightning strike did a number on his clothing, but overall he looked relatively free from visible injury. He pointed towards the obelisk, which glowed a bright pink as it charged for another summoning of fiends. They appeared similar to the brutes we faced moments ago, but the difference resided in their skin. The pulsing glow from deep within them gave them a menacing aura, and one we did not know the true capability of.

"What the hell are those fuckers" I murmur, rubbing my eyes from exhaustion.  The initial shockwave from the lightning has already drained my energy, but there hasn't been enough time to recuperate accordingly.

"I don't know... and I'd rather find out the easy way," He responded, reloading his weapons.

"You call killing them the easy way?" I scoff

"Would you rather kill them or have them infect your ass like they infected Snorkle? Do you remember what she looked like? The purple veins? The constant vomiting of purple fluid? Having to watch her life drain away right in front of us was gut-wrenching enough..." He paused a moment, regaining his thoughts from his emotional tangent, "I'm sorry... it just that she was such a good friend when I first arrived. Her and Moniker were so happy together, it was painful to seem them go through that shit. That's why I want to get Brite back so much because I do not want to lose her like Moniker lost Snorkle,"

"HATE to ruin this emotional rant Drift but they've surrounded us!" Calamity interrupted

Our heads whip around in our little circle. Fiends surrounded us from every angle, with waves more quickly approaching behind them. We didn't know who to shoot first, but each second we wasted debating ourselves was another second closer to the devil's door.

"Make every bullet count!" Drift ordered

We form a triangle in the center, almost like a human tripod, with our shoulders touching to provide the most coverage. The barrels were raised high, fingers on the trigger for the perfect moment.

"FIRE!"

The sound of gunfire erupted instantaneously, and the fall of fiends followed quickly after. While the small feeble fiends fell after one shot, the brutes took much more. The purple brutes took so many bullets to take down that it became a struggle to efficiently eliminate them while focusing on the rest of the horde. Our communication became limited to a select choice of words.

"RELOADING"

"RUNNING OUT OF AMMO"

"NEED MORE FIREPOWER ON THIS END"

"WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE SO MANY"

You know, the basic battle cries.

"SHIT THERE'S TOO MANY NOW" Drift protested, quickly scrambling for his phone. Calamity and I cast a glance, not knowing what his plan was, but we returned to eliminating those bastards, "ROOK? ROOK ARE YOU THERE? WE HAVE A CODE PURPLE I REPEAT A CODE PURPLE. CHUCK SOME NADES OVER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND HELP US OUT, WE'RE IN A TIGHT PINCH," He quickly hung up and returned to gunfire. The sweat on his forehead glowed in the moonlight, the dried blood casting a scruffy look over the normally gentle human.