Chapter 6 - The Battle Begins

Shameless plug: Add me on Fortnite lol

Username: RinoRules

(Calamity's POV)

So this is what it's like to face death

Honestly, I thought it was going to be worse than this, but when you go through a trial for your life year after year it starts to numb you.

That's what scares me the most.

The singular fact that the thought of death at this point isn't even a fear of mine the moment it becomes a possible reality.  I'm scared to think that I might throw my life away by a careless mistake due to me not being scared of dying.  However, it might be my best strength, well aside from combat training that is.

After the selection "ceremony", we are escorted to a room so they can instruct us on the events of the next 2 days.  We're no longer people, we are figurines in the hands of the government.  We are whatever they want us to be, in their game of gross violence and inhuman rules.  Anger is bottled inside all as we listen to all their bullshit.

That's what they want from us.  To bottle all of our anger and take it out on each other, and let's give them credit here.  They're doing a good job of doing it.

"Do we get to say goodbye to our families anytime before the battle?" I question coldly

"No" The President gives a cold stare at me, a smirk growing on his face.

What

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

"You son of a bi-" I start walking towards him, the intent of getting revenge for my brother in my soul, only to be met with the butt of an AR square on my back

"OW!  The hell?!" Pain soars through my body, lasting long after the impact.  Guards have surrounded me by now, all with the point of the AR aimed at my head, fingers on the trigger.

"I wouldn't take another step forward if I were you.  We all want 12 competitors for the battle royale, it would be a shame to lose one before it even starts.  You wouldn't want that, would you?" That sly bastard shoots another look at me, adjusting his tie.  God, I hate snobs with a burning passion.

"Fuck you"

"Thank you" He replies

I stare at him, a smug look growing on his face

The AUDACITY of this bitch!

"Now, if I may continue before I was so rudely interrupted.  You guys will be pitted against each other, in a classic fight to the death, for the winner is taken to the Fortnite Island to live at."  Many contestants had a spark in their eye, for their lust grew to be free.  These people were average people, for they would do anything to get out.  Even if it means killing each other for it.

"Now, tomorrow will be the time to hone down on your skills and practice a few things before you get out into the field.  The game will work like this: You all will enter the arena at a random location, and whether it's near another player or not will be unknown.  There is to be no teaming, that would pose unfair advantages, and it's to remain a free-for-all battle.  Finally, over the course of the game, a "storm" will be rolling in.  The storm will consist of acid rain" Many widened their eyes at the word 'acid', he continued "Yes, I said acid rain, this is to force competitors to come together to fight, as it should only last a few hours max.  The storm can kill you, if you don't have supplies to heal or if you get trapped late in the battle, for it takes much more damage then."