Chapter 23 - Confession

The chapter you've all been waiting for

Enjoy

(Y/N's POV)

The cabin was silent, the only sound exerted from the creek of the wood door as I opened it

Any patients remaining overnight were already asleep, but Drift was nowhere to be seen.  I drop the medical supplies in the old pantry and stand in the living room.  I turn at the sound of another creek from a door, and it turned out to be Flapjackie coming out of the bedroom.

Oh no, I have to break the news

"Oh, hey (Y/N)," She murmured, in an attempt to not disturb those resting

"Hi Flapjackie, where's Drift?  His arm-" I start

"His arm is broken, that's for sure.  I've stabilized his arm and he's currently resting in the bedroom for the time being," She looked around, uneasyness growing on her face

"Uh, (Y/N), where's Deadfire?" She asked

A feel the lump in my throat swell, pain in my heart growing as the memory of his sacrifice rushes back to me.

"Take care of Calamity (Y/N), give Flapjackie a hug for me,"

"(Y/N)... is he?" She starts, realization on her face

I don't even bother to speak, knowing that will only cause me to collapse in my emotions.  I grab Flapjackie by the shoulders and pulled her into a tight embrace, fulfilling Deadfire's wish.  My gesture was all she needed to understand his fate.  I feel her arms wrap around my back, warm tears falling onto my shirt as she silently sobbed into my chest.  I hold onto the moment, rubbing the back of her head in support.

"Shhh, it's ok it's ok, he knew the risks," I whispered

"It was inevitable.  I knew it was too easy just to get him back out of the blue,"

"He died a hero, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be here," She pulled away, looking me in the face.  A stream of tears running down her sunken face, a soft smile crept on her face, "I'm sorry for your loss, he was a great man,"

"Don't be sorry, he went out on his own terms, I'm grateful for that.  I just wished he was able to say goodbye, one last time," She turned away, the smile once again gone

"His final request to me was to hug you, tell you goodbye for him.  He may be gone physically, but know when you're alone he will be beside you at all times," I advise

"I've lived without him for years, I'll be fine.  I'm just happy I got to be with him again in the end," She flashes another weak smile, her hoodie hiding the pain in her heart.

I glance around the room, not many patients remained, since many had minor treatable injuries.  Sparkle laid asleep on the mat, only showing life from the rise and fall of her chest.  One thing was clearly different, and it rested in the dissapearance of the life guard.

"Flapjackie, did Sunny?" I ask

"She... didn't make it," She mumbled, flashbacks turning the air sour again

"Damnit, she bled out didn't she?"

"Well, I'm not sure to be honest," She replied

"What do you mean?" I questioned, how could she not be sure?

"I left the room for a second to grab a cloth as a way to slow the bleeding, and in the short time I was gone she was dead on the ground.  The blood wasn't an excessive amount, so it made no sense except from shock.  It's a shame really, but in this age there's not much you can do," She muttered coldly.  The nurse role was slowly draining her of life.