Chapter 7 - Reunion

(Y/N's POV)

------ Back on the island ------

"Why? Oh!" She chuckles again, pausing for effect

"Because she's dead "

Drift froze, stumbling with the words to say.  He can't lose her, not after all he went through to keep her, get back to her, to...

Our comprehension was interrupted by a sudden cry of pain, it was her.  She suddenly grabbed her chest and got on one knee, gasping for air, showing clear signs of pain.  Nobody moved, we all just stared in both fear and confusion.  Was this an act?  Was this a form of torture just to hurt Drift even more?

She stops after a moment, eyes wide in panic.  Panic of which we couldn't understand, for we had no clue on what to do in the first place.  After another moment she murmured one sentence.

"Sh- she can't be. That's impossible."

"What?  What's going on?"  Drift asked, cluelessness and worry spreading on his face.  Even though it wasn't his Brite, it was her body, her mind, her soul still trapped inside.  He can't stand to see her in any pain.

Suddenly she vomits a purple liquid, not blood, not stomach contents, we're not sure what it is, but it doesn't prevent the reaction.

"JESUS FUCK" I hear Cuddles scream in the background.  I turn to see that she and Rex were slowly walking up the hill.  However, the second she vomits was the second Cuddles ran back to the kart, refusing to move.  Rex went back to check on her, disgust on his face, but clear relief to have an excuse to walk away.

"BRITE!"  I turn back to see Drift run towards her, she was gaging and occasionally vomiting.  Before he could reach her, she held her hand up, blasting Drift back with an unknown force. "Augh- the hell?"

"Don't -cough- come near me again.  Next -cough- time it will your life on the line.  Got it?"

She was shaking, terrified of the situation.  Slowly she seemed to change, with each gag/vomit the more color in her skin came back.  Her eyes starting going back to their normal color, and her hair turning back to the bright pink it normally was.

"Brite.  Is that you?"

"My name is not Brite, its Dark." She gaged again "You can't stop what's coming, there are much larger threats lurking in unknown places.  Enjoy your time with her." A menacing smirk and low chuckle grew in her throat "Next time she won't come back so lively."

Drift paused "What?"

Before she could respond, she collapses, Drift quickly seized the chance to get her away from the cube.  He checks her pulse, "She's going strong, it looks like she's turning back to normal." He picks her up bridal style and starts walking back to the kart "Let's get her home, she needs to rest"

"I'll drive home, you focus on making sure she is safe along the way."

I grab the keys from Drift and go to start the kart.  Before that, I take one last look at the cube.

Man, that's menacing for a damn cube.  There's something off about it, I don't like it.

Everyone slowly grabs a seat, Cuddles up front with me, and Rex and Drift on the back sitting.  Brite was laid out on their laps, her head held close to Drift's chest.  Drift whispered to Brite occasionally to try to comfort her and himself at the same time.