Chapter 11 - Help

(Y/N's POV)

"Come on, I'm on your side. Trust me, I want to help you." He motions to us again.

"Who are you anyway?" I demand.

"Me?" He smiles and turns to face us, allowing us to get a look at his face for the first time.

"Deadfire."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Deadfire?  I've never heard of you before.  Are you new?" Drift interogated, staying close to Brite's side.

"No, I've been around these parts for some time now.  About the same time as you Drift." He calmly replied

"Wait.  How do you know my name?"

He emits a low chuckle

"What's so funny?" Drift was getting aggravated, he saw no time for jokes.

"Come on.  Who DOESN'T know about you?  You're the guy who came through the fucking rift!"

Drift goes red with embarrassment "Shit... right."

I jump into the conversation, as it was going off track

"Wait, you said you had someplace we could lay low away from the heroes."

The man pauses and looks over at me, he was noticeably different than anyone else I've seen on the island.  He was dressed in western clothing, matching his cowboy hat with a large shining star on the top.  His face mostly hidden in the shadow from his oversized hat, but he had noticeable black dreadlock hair going around his head.  He also posed a goatee around his mouth and piercing brown eyes.  He looked like a cowboy from an old wild west movie you'd see on classic movie channels.  His expression turns quickly from joking to serious as the topic at hand was brought back up.

"Oh right, we should get out of here as quick as we can.  We don't know if they're coming back, and we don't want to stay to find out." He motioned for us to follow him, but instead of hesitating, we followed.

We slowly ascend up the stairs, prepared to fight if necessary for we don't know who to trust.

"Be ready for anything.  We don't know if there are any hostiles." Deadfire warned

We reach the main floor and turn the corner to find...

Nothing.

Nobody was left to find us, they were just... gone.

"Something doesn't feel right.  Surely there can't be nobody here?" Drift wondered.  He was carrying Brite bridal style, for she was still drifting in and out of consciousness from the injection.

"Whether it's right or not we have to go NOW," Rex whispered, careful for eavesdroppers.

We waste no time and dash to the front door.  The kart still remained parked near the front steps, but there was another vehicle parked nearby.  It was different than the kart, for it only had 2 seats.  It resembled an ATV back on Earth.  I remember seeing people drive them at events and some locally for fun.

"Two of you can take my quadcrasher back to my place.  I'll drive the kart if you don't mind in order to provide direction." He lifts his hand and I toss him the keys

"Thanks..."

"(Y/N)"

"Thanks (Y/N).  Haven't heard much about you, are you new?" He questioned

"Yes, I'm another human from the rift.  I was brought here by Drift." I glance over to see him and Brite file into the back of the kart, still clutching each other for dear life.  Deadfire's face lights up.