Chapter 22 - A New Age

A new age is upon us

An age of anarchy

Destruction

Death

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- 2 WEEKS LATER  -

(Y/N's POV)

Society as we knew it has ceased to exist

Since the rise of the cube monsters about two weeks ago all hell has broken loose over the island.  Dark's power has grown exponentially since her return, and we were lucky to escape her while we could.

The same can't be said for everyone else, as her wrath applied to everyone in her path.  Both direct and indirect.

We've tried to develop a plan in the cabin on how to deal with the disaster unfolding before us, but to no avail.  Our best bet was to try and live as long as we could under these conditions, occasionally looting old supermarkets for supplies and/or food when necessary.  We've also made it our mission to help those injured or affected by Dark or the cube monsters.  The cabin turned into a makeshift hospital, with numerous occupants we've taken in to treat for injuries.

We've been able to help so many people, which was great to keep our spirits up during this dreadful time period.  Flapjackie was a great addition to our team due to her medical expertise, and essentially acts as the head nurse for us.

We couldn't save everyone though

We've lost a few along the way, as their injuries were too severe to treat, or by then we ran out of medical supplies.  We try not to focus on the numbers, as we can't imagine how much worse it is outside these walls.

The most heartbreaking loss was Snorkle Ops and Maverick.  Snorkel became infected from a cube monster bite, and passed shortly after arrival, in Maverick's arms.  He was completely heartbroken from his loss, which we tried to ease, but to no avail.  He took Snorkel with him to give her a proper burial, and nobody has seen him since.  Some claimed to see him fighting off the monsters until he was overrun, and others claimed they saw his figure hanging from a tree in Wailing.  No matter the stories, we confirmed that he was gone too, leaving a dark cloud over us.

And then there's Calamity

Over the last two weeks, we've gotten closer as she continued training me in marksmanship.  We also got good practice from fighting off small hordes of cube monsters we stumbled across.  They weren't hard to kill, for a single bullet could kill the weakest, but the large brutes required much more to fall.

I'm not afraid to accept the fact that I'm falling for her, but I am afraid to tell her.  My past has always prevented me from taking the leap for her, and I don't know whether to thank my brain or punch myself for being a pussy.

I love her

I just don't want to ruin what we've already built

The heroes/villains have remained relatively quiet, which grows concerns for their intentions.  They're the ones behind Dark and the cube, which has been nicknamed "Kevin".  Why people came up with that name baffles me to this day, but is probably the least worrying aspect about the island and its people.