Chapter 18 - Return

(Calamity's POV)

It's been a week since I've arrived at the island

The floating island (Y/N) and I witnessed has been traveling around the island via the vortex underneath keeping it aloft.  It's had a pattern of visiting those strange 'corruption' zones located throughout the island.  From there it would seem to draw power from the darkness, growing stronger and stronger.  Nobody has stepped remotely near the island throughout its journey, including us.  Word spread quickly of Dark's return, and our encounter showing her unimaginable strength.  There's an atmosphere of fear and anxiety over the whole island, and it has been difficult to live a normal life.

Dusk remains to be seen, but I speculate she's located in the castle above Haunted.  Our encounter ensures her intentions are sinister, but we would rather not encounter that dilemma until later.

Training with (Y/N) over the past week has been increasingly successful.  While at first, he struggled to fire accurately, often hitting the outer rim of the target or flat out missing.  However, over time and with diligence, we've been able to improve to striking more consistently, to eventually more accurately with bullets slowly approaching the bullseye.

While we weren't training, he's been working steadily at his custom rift creator.  We were able to take up the old hero base underneath Wailing to set up, which proved to be plenty of space.

"Are you sure you are able to do this?" I question

"I created a similar machine for Drift's return not too long ago.  Plus I managed to scavenge a folder left behind by the heroes that had some key data about rift and their creation"

I look up at (Y/N) in thought, trying to process the find

"Wait wait wait, the heroes already knew how to make a custom rift?"

"Apparently, it lays out specifics in the document.  It's odd that this would be left behind, but it works out in our favor," He responds

After the reveal of the lies told by the heroes, it only created more of a rift on the island and helped grow the fear and uncertainty.  Luckily the cabin is hard to notice without careful inspection, the heroes have tried to turn the story against us, which to some success.

"Do you ever worry about the heroes?" I wonder

"All the time, why?"

"Ever since I came to this island I've received death threats and made numerous enemies.  I thought coming here would be my escape from horror and bring me to the light, but all I get is the shittiest welcome party of them all.  The best part since coming was finding you guys, and finding out my brother was alive this whole time," I rant

"Reality can be hard to accept, but it's the only thing that is real.  No matter where you travel in the world, people will always be people, and frankly, people are rotten inside.  Some may flash a smile and seem to be innocent, but inside they are the embodiment of hell.  That's human nature for you, and it's a cold truth,"

Our eyes meet in the silence that follows.  We stare in thought, refusing to break the connection, but get interrupted by the sound of footsteps.  The steps come closer to the closed door, which forces us to draw our pistols on hand.  We've always braced for an invasion of the heroes, not knowing when the time will come for a potential battle.

The door swings open

"Hey guys!  We got the- JESUS FU- PUT THE GUNS DOWN!" A girl shrieks

It was Fable and Dire, both arms raised in surrender and panic.  We recognize them and immediately lower our weapons.