Chapter 25 - Aftermath

(Calamity's POV)

"I love you Calamity"

"I love you too (Y/N)"

His words echoed in my head throughout the night whilst I slept peacefully with him.  My arms wrapping around his abdomen, while one arm of his slipped around my waist.  The walk home that night remained peaceful, and surprisingly no cube monsters blocked our path back home.  We walked, hand in hand, to the cabin with huge smiles on our faces.  The memory of the waterfall fresh in our minds, and the feeling of each other in our arms lingering.

~~~A Few Hours Earlier~~~

The door to the cabin creaked open to welcome us back, the gushing breeze flushing out the familiar musty smell of the old wood.  We crossed the threshold, entering as completely different people than a mere hour before.

Yes, it's corny, but it was true.

"Would you like anything?  Food?  Something to drink?" (Y/N) asks

I open my mouth to respond but am cut off by a yawn, forcing my eyes shut.  I open them up to get hit with a wave of grogginess, fatigue slowly taking over my exhausted body.

Where did this come from?

"N- No I'm good.  I'm just exhausted right now," I stutter

He follows up with a similar yawn, rubbing his sunken eyes

"Me too, we should get some rest," He responds, flashing a caring smile

"Agreed"

We take a peak around the house, everyone remaining quietly sleeping.  Nobody had come, and nobody had left since we returned hours ago.  The mattress we had shared for the last two weeks remained empty, almost beckoning us to climb in and rest.  We trudged our way over, stopping on opposite sides and glancing at each other.

There was a sense of hesitation in the air and a hint of awkwardness

We slept together essentially for weeks at this point, what is so different now?  We're not doing anything... um... you know, t h a t.  We just confessed for God's sake.

We shuffle out feet awkwardly, neither of us making the move.

"I'll... go get an extra blanket.  It's a little colder now than before," (Y/N) stated, swiftly moving away to head to the supply closet.

I sigh at his sudden excursion but took the chance to settle in before he came back.  I pulled the covers and crept underneath them.  After a moment I laid my head on the pillow, staring up at the ceiling.  I then noticed something missing and felt the top of my head, only to be met with my own hair.

Aw man, I left my hat out there.  Oh well, it's not that important anyway.

I laid in silence for a few moments, and for the first time that night I was alone with my own thoughts.

He really did feel the same, and I was here thinking it was my heart being desperate

I smile into the sky, reflecting the moment we shared, the words he spoke, and his warmth when we embraced.

If I could go back and live it again, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Even if it was only 30 minutes ago.

The creaking of his footsteps alerted me of his return, but my gaze remained up, thoughts still clouding my mind.

He's the reason I'm still here, and if it wasn't for... Deadfire.

I sigh again, his sacrifice still a haunting movie in my mind.  It won't be easy to recover from losing him since we just lost Mom and Dad as well.