november 20, 2004 (cont.)

MOST PEOPLE PREPARE FOR A ROLE over weeks, months, and even years

MOST PEOPLE PREPARE FOR A ROLE over weeks, months, and even years. Auditioning, waiting for a callback, script readings; these things all took a lot of time. For Lennon to be called during mid-production of a film was not rare, but it most definitely was not usual.

After the phone call ended both Diana and James began screaming for Lennon. It was a weird  circumstance to be jumping for joy over when she didn't even know how to handle it. Filming had only just begun for Brokeback and production would be going on into the beginning of next year. The realization had hit Lennon unbearably hard.

    "Well," She cleared her throat, "what the fuck do I do now?"

    The clapping from Diana had died down when Lennon's discouraging tone interrupted.

    "We can talk to Ang for you," James shrugged, "or you can. It's up to you, really."

    "What am I supposed to say? I'm not quitting but I'm definitely going to be gone by the time filming is completed here."

    Diana shrugged, "I think this is the last thing you should worry about right now. Ang will totally understand, you'll most likely be done for post production."

    "I feel like I made this decision too abruptly..."

    James nudged his head inward, unbelieving what she was saying, "Lennon, this is a Christopher Nolan film. Christopher. Nolan. He's going to be the next Kubrick, this is a really really incredible role for you to take."

    "I guess..."

    As the producers predicted, Ang was very understanding and even encouraging of Lennon. He knew taking on the role would be very impactful on her career, as much as he would miss her vision on set. Most of the shots had been neatly directed and planned out in the storyboard by Lennon so he knew he would be able to base the rest of the necessary scenes off of her descriptions.

    Leaving mid-production was anxiety ridden, but more nerve inducing was having to say goodbye to Jake so last minute. Oddly enough since the Heath situation, Lennon had felt incredibly close with him so having to abruptly leave was weird.

    "You're going where? To film WHAT?" Jake stood from his chair and began to pace in the small confined trailer.

    "I'm going to London—"

    "Believe me, I heard you." Jake stood facing the vanity mirror, a hand on his hip, "why?"

    "Why what?" Lennon rose her eyebrows only for Jake to mock her.