4 : Gorgeous and Innocent

I never thought I would be happy to be back in Mrs. Fiedler's modern history class sitting with Avalon and Jeffery. Jeffery can be a bit of an ass and likes to annoy people – the f*cking sadist – but is somehow always seen as a 'good' guy. I don't really like his company and he smells a bit funky, but most of the time he's an ego boost and isn't too bad to talk to.

At the end of class, Mrs. Fiedler pulls me up to the front to talk to her. "You're a bit behind, love. Have you gotten Avalon to send you her notes?"

"Yes, I have," I say.

"Also, Mr. Yo has sent me an email requesting you to his office." She pats me on the shoulder and takes off her bulky glasses, "I wanted to let you know that my doors are always open if you ever need a chat."

I give her a small smile. "Thankyou, Mrs. Fiedler. I'll keep that in mind."

She sends me off and I head to the principal's office. I'm not sure what Mr. Yo has to say to me, but it's my first day back so hopefully it's just a 'welcome back' and an apple or something .

Outside his office is one of the trophy/ medal cabinets. I eye it up and down noticing my reflection. I look paler – from more time indoors with my grandparents. I look slimmer – which is odd because you'd think I'd be fatter after spending time with them. I look... dull and lifeless.

I should be the one in a coffin, not Paige.

She was perfect. She was the poster child of perfection. Taking my eyes off my reflection and looking at the trophies I noticed that Paige's name is on many of them. She was an academic genius, she was the lead in the musical, she was the school captain. She was loved by everyone. She was gorgeous and innocent. She didn't deserve it. She was so good...

"Ah, Rose, just the girl I was looking for. Come inside," he gestures for me to come into his office.

I take a seat on the closest leather couch.

"Welcome back, how are you doing? Settling back in alright?"

"Yeah, really well."

"You're Uncle said he's worried about you, that you have been having some... sleeping issues."

"Nothing new."

"Well, either way, we've discussed that maybe seeing a counsellor could be advantageous for you."

"Oh, no, really, I'm fine."

"We have a few staff on hand that have available session times." Mr. Yo drones on for what seems like an hour on the possibilities of mental expansion and true physical wellbeing.

"Is that all?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Actually, there is one more thing. Are you familiar with author and screenwriter, Adrian Iris?"

"Who isn't? I haven't read anything of his myself, but I've heard about him."

"Well, it is a bit of an odd request..." he coughs, sniffles and then brushes his oily black fringe from his eyes. "Mr. Iris has just arrived at Shadow River Manor and will be staying there for a few months and he has personally selected you to be part of an exclusive internship program."

I sit for a few moments in silence wondering what the hell this means. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Well, it would be a bit like a personal assistant. He needs a local to find his way around Cedar Creek. I assume it has something to do with your grandfather."

My grandfather, Xavier Chosen, is one of the most highly regarded authors of the century.

"Why would I accept this?"

"As you're behind in all your subjects, this extra credit may be able to boost your overall score and this training would be invaluable when applying to university."

I hadn't thought about my future in a long time. Part of me doesn't see past school. Especially after last year. "I haven't really thought about that."

"It's an amazing opportunity, Rose, one that no other student has been given."

Paige would have.

"He's asked to meet with you this afternoon in person to give you the offer, before you refuse."

"Umm," some warning bells go off in my brain but I have a thing for ignoring them, "ok, what do I have to lose?"

.

.

.

"What did Yo want?" Avalon asks me as I sit next to her.

"You ever heard of Adrian Iris?"

"No..."

"He's a movie guy."

"I'm confused, what does that have to do with Yo?"

"Well Yo reckons that he's specifically requested me for an internship thing."

May takes a seat across from me and Avalon. "What's this?" May says.

"That writer, Adrian Iris, wants to meet with me this afternoon," I say.

"No f*cking way." May's eyes bulge. "Are you serious? How do you know him?"

"I don't, this is completely random to me. Have you read his books?"

"Of course I have! He writes the hottest sh*t, and he isn't too shabby himself. I can't believe you're going to meet him," May gushes. Then she pauses and I watch the cogs turn in her brain. "I'm sure its because of your grandpa though," she adds condescendingly.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's it." Because obviously there's nothing special about me.

"Call me straight after," Avalon demands and puts her hand on my knee, "I wanna hear all about it."

I smile at her. But something's missing. How does everyone act normal when nothing feels right? How do we all somehow ignore the fact that Paige isn't here. I look across from May where her seat was. I can almost see her there, golden hair, glowing green eyes, her cute little smile and her inquisitive dimples... I bow my head.

"I f*cking can't believe that we already have our biology assignments." A new voice joins the table.

I look up to see another blonde in Paige's seat. Jess. What is she doing? When did she start sitting with us?

"I know right?" Avalon whines, "how many assessment pieces are they going to shove into one term."

Sylv takes a seat next to Jess. Of course. I can almost hear Paige's voice in the background with a hint of sass and sarcasm. Jess was the only person who Paige wasn't fond of. She hated Jess. Jess is one of those girls that doesn't understand boundaries or girl code. Any guy is game: your ex, your boyfriend, your brother. She is two faced. But no one sees it but me now.

Jess is really pretty. There is something hot about her - she's skinny but still has little curved. She has that petite little frame, bright white hair and a soft tan. Her bright blue eyes are framed by dark eyebrows. But she's smart – very smart. The way her brain copes with numbers and words like she's on nerd steroids. Maybe Paige didn't like her because she was competition. Maybe that's why I don't like her.

We spend the rest of lunch chatting away. I zone in and out, distracted by Jess and Sylv. He avoids eye contact with me but my gaze can't help but drifting to him. I notice him watch me sometimes, and then look away when I catch him.

Suddenly the room goes silent. I follow the stares of the students around me to the doorway, where Mr. Yo is leading two men in suits into the cafeteria. They pause there and one of them calls out, "We're looking for Rose Chosen."