5 : Shadow River Manor

The faces in the room turn to me. I feel my cheeks go hot.

I stand up.

"This way," the tall one gestures for me to follow.

I make my way past the tables of students, keeping my chin up and a fast strut. Once I reach the doorway, I make a quick observation of the men. The two that came in are wearing dark suits, they have pens in their pockets and stern faces. The tall one looks young – maybe in his early twenties. The short – sort of fat – one, he looks older, maybe fifty or so. There's a third hiding behind in police uniform. He looks a bit like Freddie Mercury.

They walk me in silence back into Mr. Yo's office where my Uncle is standing at the door. I sit down in the same seat. "Long time no see, Mr. Yo," I joke.

The corner of his lips pull into a small smile, but he looks solemn as he takes a seat at his desk. The chubby man takes the seat opposite me, and the tall one paces around the office. The policeman stays outside at the door.

"So... what's up?" I say, glancing around the room.

"We have some questions for you, regarding your friend, Paige Ascott," Chub says.

This puts me off guard. I'm taken aback for a second. "What about her? We already did all this months ago, what's changed?" I look to my uncle.

"It's just a routine follow up, ma'am."

"I didn't realise car accidents required follow ups."

"We just find it suspicious that you would disappear for three months after her death," the tall one interjects.

"Tallon, let me handle this," Chub says to the tall one. He turns to me and addresses me gently, "why is it that you left Cedar Creek?"

"My best friend died and I needed some space – is this honestly what this is about? You can call my grandparents, I stayed with them," I explain.

"I was in contact with her and her grandparents every day, I assure you there's nothing suspicious going on," my uncle defends me.

"We've been examining Miss Ascott's car and it seems as though there may have been some tampering. Did you have any idea about this?"

"No," for a second I'm speechless, "what does that mean? Tampering... like – someone did it on purpose - it wasn't an accident?"

"We're still looking into it – it's been very difficult to analyse because of all the damage."

"But you're saying it might not have been an accident?"

"Yes."

A million thoughts run through my mind. What does this mean? Someone wanted Paige to get into an accident? Someone wanted to kill her? Why would anyone want to kill Paige? Who...?

"We'd like you to keep this quiet for now, kid." Chub says. "If you remember anything suspicious," he hands me a card with a number on it, "call this number."

I take the card and stare at it.

Principal Yo shakes their hands and leads them out. I listen as he speaks to them outside. "Thank you, detective Franks and detective Tallon. I'll reach out to you if I hear anything." He coughs.

"We'll need to speak to the other kids as well, can you schedule time for their parents to come in? We think it's more appropriate to speak to them in an environment where they feel comfortable rather than the station."

"Yes, yes... anything to help Paige and her family."

"Did you know about any tampering?" my uncle snaps me away from eavesdropping.

"No... surely it's a mistake."

"I hope so, honey. Paige's parents have been through enough." He holds his head in his hands. "If anything happened to you I would be devastated."

"It ok, Uncle Pete. I'm fine." I force a smile. "We'll figure this out."

"Please, just be safe when you're driving."

The bell rings. "What do you have now?" I ask him.

"Grade nine maths."

"Ah, you're favourite class."

.

.

.

Before I know it, it's the end of the day. The hours drag on as what the detectives suggested tumble and turn in my mind. I can't help but wonder whether I should warn the others, or let the detectives tell them.

For now, I focus on the task at hand:  I've stolen Uncle Pete's moped on my quest to Shadow River Manor to meet the man of the hour. Adrian Iris. I'll give him some props, he does have a sexy name for a writer. But what the hell does he need an assistant for? And why a kid in school? Surely there's some writer wannabe's working in the local bookstore.

Speaking of jobs, I need to contact my boss ASAP and pray that she's willing to take me back on. My neighbour, Tom, is one of my best friends, despite not being part of my school group. His mum is one of the two town florist owners and she taught me to work with flowers from scratch. I worked with her after school for a couple of hours a few days a week. But when I left for Newhaven for three months... she must have been overwhelmed with work. Maybe she hired someone new?

Lost in thought, I almost collide with the car in front of me and slam on the breaks, almost doing a mono. The backlights of Paige's car flash through my mind, but I shake it off and speed away, now more eager to meet Iris to distract my wandering thoughts.

He's not here to distract you anymore.

But I finally make it. Something's always been off about Shadow River Manor. It is a gothic sort of mansion that looks a bit like a castle. Its masked by tall, overpowering trees, dark python greenery, Mediterranean cypresses. But there is something beautiful about it, something enchanted. It peaks my curious side and awe. Something inspiring.

I find myself knocking at the massive wooden front door before I truly recognize where I am. Rumours of murders have happened on the property, and since the late 1900's, no one has ever purchased the manor, but rather various famous people have rented it for holidays. I guess Iris is just one of them.

A butler of some sort opens the door. "Hello there, you must be Rose, we've been awaiting your arrival. I'm Atticus, caretaker of Shadow River Manor." He takes my hand and shakes it gently. He looks approximately one hundred, yet still with a kind and welcoming wrinkled face. He sort of reminds me of Alfred from Batman. Yes, I think that might stick.

"Thankyou for having me."

"Please, come inside."