16 : The Library

"Care to miss some school?"

"I'm already behind," I mutter through the phone. Then I remember Sylv. "Actually, you know what? Some time from school is exactly what I need right now."

"Wonderful, I'll see you soon." Adrian hangs up.

Is it wrong that I just don't have the mental energy to face Sylv today? I just don't have the strength to see him. It hurts too much. And I most definitely don't have the strength to avoid him. Yes, I'm behind in my studies... and yes, I promised Auntie and Uncle that I would put in some more effort at school.

But I just don't see a point to it.

I pull up on Adrian's driveway and let myself in – the door is unlocked. I haven't properly explored the manor – or estate. My curious side wants to be left alone to explore it. I've only really been through a small living area with a fireplace, the guest shower, and a peak at the back gardens. But I know this land stretches far further than what I've seen. I walk in through the entry way, looking up at the giant wooden staircases.

"Adrian?" I call, then correct myself, "Iris?"

"In the study," his muffled voice responds.

I follow the direction of the sound, through the left arch into an alien corridor.

"Iris – I don't know where the study is!" I say.

No response.

I keep walking, past chandeliers and haunted looking photo frames. It seems like I've walked a kilometre by the time I meet a tall wooden door, slightly open. I push it and it creaks loudly, like it hasn't had use in years.

"You found me," Adrian says gently. He's perched on a red velvet armchair with dark brown wooden legs.

"What is this place?" I look around with wonder. The walls are lined with bookcases, reaching the highest part of the ceiling. Along the top is a narrow ledge, accessible by a spiral staircase, giving the room a second story. All the books look ancient, with hard cases and gold lettering. They have that dusty, dirty look to them, like they haven't been touched in eternity.

It looks like something out of Beauty and the Beast or Harry Potter.

"Wow," I sigh.

"A special place, isn't it?" he says.

"This whole estate is special."

"I'm almost tempted to purchase it permanently."

"Why don't you?"

"I'm not a small-town guy."

"I see," I say and tuck my hair behind my ear. "So, where do we start?"

"Research," he says simply. "Let's first find out what's in the public records, then we can sift through it."

"And how are we accessing the public records?"

"There's this very clever little thing, not sure if you've heard of it: the internet."

I almost laugh. "Is there even wifi connection here?"

"Fortunately for us, that was my first request when booking accommodation."

"Pretty and smart."

He peaks up at me, through ringlets of caramel hair, with his almost golden eyes. He pauses, like he's thinking of something witty and sarcastic to say, but he doesn't. He just looks at me with this small smirk of satisfaction, like I've just exposed my weakness.

I cough. "So, um, what do you want me to Google?"

"Here," he says, passing me a leather satchel, "search, 'wittle-murders-cedar-creek'."

I take the satchel from him, avoiding eye contact, and open it. A small, A4 size laptop slips out and I hold it like a feather in my hands. It's so light. "Nice laptop," I say.

"It's yours."

"What?"

"It's for our project. You don't expect me to leave you un-provided for," he says casually, like it cost him twenty bucks.

"Thanks, but I have my own."

"I've seen that tank you carry around – it's not efficient, nor is it from this century."

"How did you know that?" I furrow my brows at him.

"You do realise that it pokes out of your backpack it's that obese."

"No, I did not." I grip the straps of my backpack.

"Well let's begin, shall we?"

.

.

.

Iris and I set up a little station in the corner of the library where there's a large circular table. I take off my jumper and hang it on the back of my chair, tossing my scarf onto the wooden tabletop. The laptop sits in front of me, it's silver keyboard shining like ice against the morbid tones of the room.

I type what Adrian suggested into the search engine and a news article comes up. He sits beside me, dragging the seat over so that he can lean over and read the article with me.

Wittle Children Murdered

Small town, Cedar Creek residents, Wittle family, owners of the Shadow River Manor and estate... high school student, Jasmine, and eleven year old, Gwen, go missing on Friday Feb 8th... children were missing for almost one month before their bodies were discovered in Shadow River, merely a five minute drive away... police have no suspects... nanny, Miss Philipa Ardent, gives statement... brother returns home from boarding school for funeral... police suggest that the girls may have been hit by a car by accident... investigation closes after one year of no leads or suspects.

Wow, that's tragic. "This is the story you're following?" I say.

"You haven't seen my movies, I see."

"Adrian... I don't understand why you want to dig into this."

"Isn't that what you're doing? For your friend?"

"What?" I'm taken off guard. "That's a completely different... I'm not doing it to make money. I'm giving her justice – I'm giving myself closure."

"Maybe that's what I'm doing."

"I don't see how you're giving these people justice – you want to expose them. Aren't the parent's dead?"

"One of them." He brings his hand to his forehead and rubs the skin, like he's got a headache. "Rose, I don't expect you to understand why I do this-"

"Then explain it to me. We're partners, remember?"

"So you want to trade secrets now?"

Suddenly I'm intrigued. Secrets. What could Adrian Iris possibly hold secret?

"I just don't see the appeal of trudging up these sorry stories. I want to know what exactly appeals to you about it."

"Maybe it's an excuse to spend time with you."

"I'm not in the mood for jokes, Iris," I grumble, "what can possibly be alluring about the disappearance and murder of two innocent young girls? It's tragic, not a romance."

"I need a cigarette." He stands abruptly and leaves the room.

_______________

hey everyone! i am so sorry that i've been MIA lately... i have just started a law/psychology degree and i have not had as much time as usual! i hope you haven't forgot rose's story... let me know what you feel cedar creek is missing!

lots of love,

aurora