22 : The Biggest Smile

Adrian drops the gun on the dusty bench and we lock eyes. Realisation hits the both of us.

The whole world spins as my eyes land on the gun. This could be the weapon that killed those innocent girls. This could be the gun that was in the killers hands.

I gasp and bite my lip. "Do we... what do we do?" I whisper.

"Unless you have a hidden talent in ballistics, I think we call the professionals."

"The police?"

He nods.

I let out a short breath. And my eyes trail back to the gun.

"Rose," he steps forward. He reaches out, cupping my face in his hand and shifting it from looking at the gun to looking up at him. "Don't think about it. Let's call the police from the main house."

"Ok," I respond quickly. I feel heat rush to my cheeks.

He drops his hand, and with it I feel the breath I was holding release. I sigh as we both turn to leave the shed and head back to the main house.

It takes twenty minutes for the police to arrive outside Shadow River Manor. I sit in front of the fireplace as Iris speaks to the detectives. Seeing the gun distracted me for a while, but slowly, thoughts of Cliff and Paige creep back in. The thoughts can't be silenced, especially as I look over and recognise detective Tallon.

I look down at my fingernails as Tallon walks over to me, his tall figure creating a long shadow on the carpet.

"You got a thing for murder mysteries?" he says, noticing I'm now involved in two mysterious Cedar Creek crimes.

"You're the homicide detective," I retort.

He shrugs. "You wouldn't mind if I troubled you with a few questions, would you?"

"I'm an open book," I wish I believed.

"Why are you helping Iris?"

"Why wouldn't I take cash and experience? I was grasping an opportunity." I don't tell him how I plan on giving the money to my Uncle and Aunt. That would just give rise to more brutal questioning.

"Seems like Iris is too."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're very trusting, despite the fact that there's a potential killer on the loose." He takes a seat on the plush couch opposite me, looking at the fire, then looking back at me. "Has anything new come to your attention about Paige?"

"No. Isn't investigation supposed to be your area of expertise?"

"I know what it's like to lose someone important to you – so important you try seeking out your own answers." He rubs his knees. "Miss Chosen, I just want you and your friends to be careful." He leans over, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a small card. "This is my personal number. You can call me at any time. If you're unsafe, or if you know something that might help Paige."

"Thanks," I say, perhaps the first real warmth rising to my lips in a small smile. "I'm sorry for being snappy. We want to help Paige as much as you do."

"I don't doubt it," with that, he stands up, gives me a small nod, and leaves with the rest of the officers.

I fold the paper in my hands, trying to memorise the number, then place it in my pocket.

"What was that about?" Iris says, taking a seat next to me.

"Just my friend, Paige."

"He seems suspicious," Adrian begins, furrowing his brow. "What did he give you?"