40 : Adrian's Lips

I wash all the smoke from my hair. I scrub shampoo in. I wash it out. I scrub in another dollop. I wash it out. Another. Another. Another.

My hands are wrinkly by the time I get out of the shower. Auntie brings me a pot of tea and places it on my bedside table. "Kath called to say how brave you are. She wants to thank you," she says.

I nod.

She takes a seat on my bed. "Have you got any name suggestions? For the baby?"

I blink in response. "Not really."

"Ok, sweetie."

"Maybe... Charlie. Boy or girl."

"Too Pretty Little Liars," Auntie says and I laugh.

"How about... Olivia – like Uncle Pete's mother."

"That's a beautiful idea," she giggles.

We talk for another ten minutes, brainstorming ideas. Then my name factory is drained, so I throw on some clothes and speed off to the hospital.

.

.

.

By the time I make it to Sylv's room at the hospital, everyone from my crew is already there. Well, I guess I wouldn't call it my crew anymore. I guess Jess has a big enough personality to fill in for Paige and me. I mentally pull my hair out.

I peak in through the window and stare at Jess sitting on the edge of his bed. How dare she? How dare she put her filthy fake tanned hands on his clean white bed sheets. I can practically see the orange dripping from her finger tips. Ok – to be honest, her tan is probably natural and really great. But I hate her. I hate her. Maybe I hate her because Sylv could like her. Sylv could want her. He wouldn't be the first guy.

I bite my lip and take a deep breath.

There's no way I'm getting in there – not without wanting to gauge out my eyes. I walk to the reception and ask for a piece of paper and pen. I write him a note.

Dear Sylv,

The image of you, lifeless, asleep at the top of the barn – I almost died. I never want to see that again. I never want to lose you. Please, forgive me for all the sh*t I've put you through over the years. You never deserved it. If I could take it all back – back to when I ended things without an excuse... I would. I'm sorry. For everything.

RC.

I fold the note neatly then ask the nurse to give it to him in private. She seems trustworthy.

I take one last look through the window, at May flirting with everyone in the room, at Jess practically sitting on his lap, at Cliff and Jackson mucking around with Avalon's braids. I feel tears rise to my cheeks and I run off to someone who can't reject me. Archer.

I haven't visited Archer in a long time. I've missed him. I've missed his fashion advice and his dirty jokes and his debating techniques. I feel a pang of unease at how little I've visited him. To be fair – I have been investigating who hurt him, so he hasn't been completely out of mind. God I'm an awful friend.

Jones, his boyfriend, is sitting by his side again. I knock at the door then let myself in. "Hey Jones," I say.

He nods at me.

We sit like that for a long time. Even though no one speaks, I feel happy to be in a room where my presence isn't abhorred. I'll just have to visit Sylv at midnight and sneak in so that no one sees me. I doubt he'll be in hospital long anyways – apparently he only got a small burn on his arm. Not even a bad one. Of course, I don't do science so I wouldn't know if it's a first, second, third br fourth degree burn.