61 : Like a Dream

AVALON'S PERSPECTIVE

My lawyer sits in front of my like a hungry pig. He drones on about my options.

Pay a ridiculous fine, or spend five years in jail.

We'll be walking up to the judge soon, in front of everyone – all my friends and family. Jackson.

The judge will sentence me to jail. Maybe even rehabilitation if I'm lucky.

Everyone will be sad, but there's nothing they can do. They've tried raising the money, but they don't have it.

My lawyer sighs, he knows I barely have enough to even pay him.

I want to cry but I also feel nothing at the same time.

My lawyer walks with me back into the court room.

The judge is an old lady, slightly chubby. Pink faced. I can almost see grey whiskers on her chin from here, even though I'm practically blind. I forgot my glasses today, just to make things worse.

I can barely see who has come to support me.

I look behind to see May and Jacskon sitting side by side, offering me anxious smiles. Jackson looks so wrecked. I don't want to do this to him. I'll have to break up with him – I can't expect him to wait five years for me. The idea makes my stomach lurch. I'm also hungry.

The prison food is going to be so bad! I can't... no... I really don't want to...

As the judge begins to speak, a quiet settles over the room. But randomly, I see someone running into the court room.

She is short and stumpy, with curly brown hair. She looks twelve but must be older. Maybe twenty something – but her face is young.

She runs to my lawyer and hands him a thick yellow envelope. She says it is imperative for him to open it now.

Every head in the courthouse stares as my lawyer stands and announces that we can pay the fine.

My jaw drops – I know we don't have that money.

My lawyer looks down on me with a comforting smile as if to say we did it, kid.

I look back to see Jackson crying. Behind him I see Helen and Peter with their baby boy Charlie. I understand why Sylv didn't come. He already blames himself for so much, he couldn't add me to that list.

I feel tears brimming to my eyes. I definitely feel relief now.

Then my phone buzzes.

Twilight Falls. 8:00.

.

.

.

I sit in our usual spot at Twilight falls, right at the top of the waterfall. It's a climb – one we're not really allowed to do. Signs don't permit it. But that's all they are. Signs. They can't stop us.

She finally makes the climb. The wind blows her golden hair like a lullaby. She gives me her signature shy smile.

"I didn't think I'd be seeing you for another six months," I giggle.

"I had to see you after the trial. I was so worried about you." Her voice is delicate and soft.

"You can thank the mystery miracle money man," I laugh softly against the cool breeze.

"I would kiss his feet if I could." She purses her thin lips. "In all seriousness, Avalon, you should get help even if it's not court ordered. There's a rehabilitation program-"

"It was an accident. Sylv forgave me. I'm not an arsonist." Maybe just a pyro.

She doesn't press me any further.

"How's Rosie?" I ask. I haven't heard about her daughter in a long time.

"She's already babbling on. She's a bright one."

"Just like her mum," I smile but something bitter taints it all. There's so many questions I need to ask her. So many that I keep forgetting because we're on borrowed time. Every conversation is short.

"I just need to know... if Rose didn't die, would you have ever come back?"

She purses her lips again and looks down at the rocks. The water hums quietly below us. "My parents would kill me if they knew I snuck away."

"Archer's memory is improving every day. He's taking therapy to remember the accident. He's going to remember you're alive."

"We'll deal with that if it comes to it," she seems calm and collected.

"Is it safe for you yet?"

"It might never be safe for me, Avalon. My parents are bad people."

"What about Sylv? I need to tell him. I've never been able to keep a secret."

"In time. He's not ready yet." Then she does the look. The look. She checks her watch and her eyes narrow. "I need to go."

"When will I see you again?"

"In time." She smiles again, green eyes glowing softly under the moonlight.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you too, Av."

She climbs away – like a delicate cat. I watch her figure transform into a shadow then disappear altogether, like a dream. Sometimes I wonder if I'm imagining her all together.

The end.

____

thankyou to everyone who has made it to this point and gone on this journey with me. I honestly loved writing this story and I hope u enjoyed reading it! If u have any questions about these last chapters or the whole book or anything please comment or text me !!
It only took me 6 months to write this story - which officially makes it the fastest time I've ever written one. I think it's because I was so passionate about the story and the characters, given it's based off a lot of truth (and a lot of over dramatisation.)

At the end of the day - are u team Sylv or team Adrian?!?

Also, please don't make mean comments. I appreciate constructive criticism but there's a difference between something that can help me improve and something that is just rude. Thankyou.

Alright, goodbye for now...
Aurora

the next chapter will be actors that i imagine for each of the characters. you're welcome to skip that :)