44 : Ding Dong the B*tch is Dead

I'm a useless person – a hopeless person. It's like my whole life has been trying to prove a point to me. I see the point, I understand the point – yet every time the point is in front of me, I slap it in the face.

My point is Sylv.

Why do I continuously f*ck things up with him? I know I want him – I know I need him. Yet all I do is make him doubt me. I'm just so stupid.

Anxiety swells in my stomach as I remember what he said. "The fire... it wasn't an accident. They think Cedar Creek is harbouring it's own, friendly neighbourhood pyro."

It makes me cringe and want to cry. Because I don't believe in coincidences.

And since this fire wasn't an 'accident' – then it has something to do with Paige. It has to.

Why's that bad? Because someone is going around and trying to murder all my friends. First Paige, Archer – now Sylv? Who's next?

I call Tallon as I walk myself to my moped in the parking lot. "Tallon," I say, bluntly.

"Yes, Miss Chosen?"

"The fire – you know about that?"

"Yes, Miss Chosen, I do."

"Do you think it's related? Do you think there's some psycho out their killing off my friends?"

"Who would have that motive?"

I think back to everyone who has been friends with us. We've never been the type to bully – our group was not exclusive, but merely quiet. We stayed out of everyone's way because we enjoyed our own company too much. We never hurt anyone. Why would anyone be out for us?

"No one," I say. "Tallon – figure this out for me."

"It's not my case, but I will see what I can do."

"Thankyou," I hang up.

Now, to go home and lie to Auntie and Uncle.

.

.

.

When I get home and see the entire kitchen renovated into a salon, I want to cry.

"Surprise!" Auntie Helen says.

I don't know how she knew I hadn't booked hair and makeup – maybe because she knows how lazy and forgetful I am.

"I haven't done this for a while – but before I was a nurse I actually worked part time at a bridal salon."

I've never seen her grin so big. It melts my cold and feelingless heart.

"I don't know what to say," I stutter out. "I'm so... thankyou, Auntie Helen. Thankyou so much."

"Your mum did my hair and makeup, before my formal, back in the day," she says with a tear in her eye. To lose a sister – that must have been so awful. Paige felt like a sister to me, even though reading her diary makes me think I didn't know her all too well.

"I love you, Auntie Helen," I smile. I don't say those three words often – even though I feel them. I think it's because I want to save them for special moments like these. Part of me thinks I will regret that habit when I die.

She pulls me into a bear hug. I hold back the tears. I can't tell her I'm not going now. I can't.

She pulls me onto one of the kitchen high chairs and starts with my hair. "Alright – when's the last time you washed it?"

"This morning," I say.

"Ok – well, would've been better if you left it a day but this will do. What style do you want?"

"Auntie, I trust you with my life. Do whatever you think will look best."

She spends the hour carefully and elegantly curling the strands of my hair. She uses so much hairspray that the air becomes foggy and I cough with every breath.

Then she moves to painting my face and again I let her do what she wants. The dress I'm wearing is red and sexy – it's a bit extra so I hope that whatever she's doing doesn't distract from the beauty of the dress. I'm still baffled that the dress that fit my mother's body now fits mine. I can't see her clearly in my mind, but Auntie Helen says I'm her spitting image, but with my father's eyes. Mum's eyes were dark brown almost black, dad's a light hazel.

I've tried not to spend too much time wishing they were here because I feel like that's insulting to Auntie and Uncle who have raised me as their own. And this new little baby of theirs... I hope she not only fills my gap, but overflows it. Or he. Or whatever.

Why Auntie plucks my eyebrows, I try thinking up names. If I had a daughter – I think I would name her Belle, after Mrs. Belle, Tom's mum. Or maybe after my mum, Esme.

"What about Blair, like grandma?" I haven't seen my grandparents on Mum and Auntie Helen's side since I was three years old. They're really crazy – I think the last time we heard from them they were travelling around Africa. They're zoologists and crazy in love, even though there's almost one hundred. I think being a zoologist or a vet would be the best job. That or maybe a detective or something. Jokes, omg – don't get me started.

As Auntie finishes up my makeup, I still haven't figured out a way to lie myself out of this one. I've thought about where I can hide out, but that's not going to save me. What about photos? I can't photoshop for sh*t. What about questions? What did you eat? How did Avalon look? Who did Cliff take?

There's just no way out of this one. My heart drops. Do I have to actually go alone?

I imagine being on our table with our whole group – everyone with their dates that were organised weeks and even months ago. Cliff with his girlfriend, May with her boyfriend, Jackson and Avalon together and Sylv with Jess. I want to throw up in my mouth.

I actually am starting to feel nauseous again. Luckily I have started carting around a mini toothbrush and toothpaste in case I get sick on the go.

"All done!" Auntie Helen smiles wildly, passing me a mirror.

I'm completely shocked. I actually feel... pretty. The colour on my face blocks out my pale and fills in the hollowness in my cheeks. I almost want Sylv to see me like this – just so he can feel stupid for going with Jess.

Then I remember how powerless and ugly I will feel. Why couldn't I have thought sooner and invited Tom. Maybe it's not too late – maybe I can rent him a tux or something. Then he can distract me and we'll KPOP dance to the stupid music and we'll laugh and I won't be as focussed on Sylv. With her.

My heart sinks down to my stomach. How could he?

No. I can't go. I'm going to fake it and photo shop it or... I don't know – I'll figure it out. I just can't face him alone.

Then the doorbell rings.

_____________

ok so everything is starting to heat up now! the next chapters will be alot more dramatic and a lot more fast paced. tensions rising!

who do you think is at the door and why?

vote if you're enjoying TSOCC please!

thanks a million,

Aurora