19 : Into the Lions Den

By the time I get home, its dark and cold. My brain jumps over the information Adrian and I uncovered. So Jasmine's art was a reflection of the chaos she suffered at home. Her words in her diary made it seem like there was some violence and 'fighting' with her parents. But what does this mean? So what, her parents were a little aggressive and maybe a little bit strict. Does that mean they murdered her and her little sister?

The discovering of her journal reminds me of Paige's diary that I still haven't finished reading. I know it's important, it's so crucial... but I can't bring myself to it. The words are just so... vivid. I see her when she tells her stories, I hear her when the pages speak.

I take her diary from my bed side table and find my bookmark. I bite my lip, digging my nails into my palm for a second while I take in a deep breath and start reading.

Even though Hayden has to be the most prolifically morbid of d*ckheads, I always find myself running back to him. Despite the voices in my head – particularly Rose and Avalon – who constantly warn me of him, I always am trailing back. Always.

I read about her distaste for Hayden for half an hour before it gets to a make out session and I slam the book shut. I most definitely am not reading that. I can't possibly break her trust like that. I hope that, wherever she is, she forgives me for reading her diary at all. I shouldn't be. It's personal and wrong. But I think she would allow it if it means figuring out what happened to her. Figuring out who f*cked with her car.

.

.

.

I don't think anyone really likes school. Who could possibly enjoy hours of meaningless information being thrown at you with high expectations and low realisations? Because I certainly don't. My work ethic has been squandered. I don't remember the last time I picked up a textbook or even looked at my homework. Auntie Helen and Uncle Pete wouldn't be proud, and that breaks my heart. But what can I do?

I look over across the hall and notice Jess walking up to Sylv. She makes me so furious with her perfectly straight, glowing hair and her cute little smile. She's so f*cking smart and knew exactly how to get to me. After everything, now I feel like I'm backed into a corner. I can't talk to Sylv and I can't tell Avalon everything. Argh. Jess looks like she's flirting. I want to vomit.

Avalon bumps into me, taking me off my train of thought. "Hey, have you seen Jackson?"

"Who?" I'm momentarily confused, "Oh, sleazy rat face."

"Don't say that... have you seen him?"

"Not today."

"Oh, there he is!"

I turn to see Jackson walk around the corner with his long black hair swept back, earrings and metallic necklace dangling from his neck. I give Avalon a quizzical look.

"He's trying out a more grungy style."

"Tell him to stop trying."

"Anyways, I'll see you in the cafeteria-"

"Wait!" I grab her arm, pulling her back. "I read- I mean... I've been thinking about Hayden. We should investigate him. Tonight. I think he'll be at the Den."

"You want to go to the Den. On our own?"

"Yes."

"What about Sylv?"

I look back over to him and Jess talking and watch them walk off to another class. "No, he'll draw too much attention and people might see him as a threat or even worse, competition. Boys don't see 'trained boxer' as intimidating anymore. All they see is testosterone," I lie, needing an excuse to avoid him.