48 : The Fox Hunt

I've been spending to much time in the war room. Paige's diary sits lonely in my backpack as Avalon and I discuss who C could be together. 

"What about an Uncle or something. That could make sense," Avalon says.

I cringe. "That's gross."

"I didn't think Paige was into older guys."

"What about looks – should we be looking for a type?" Avalon ponders.

"Does she even have a type?"

"No," Sylv says, stepping into the room.

My eyes widen and the breath is sucked out of me. Why is he here?!

Avalon, sensing my apprehension, looks at me confusedly. "I told him we were meeting, did you want it to be a secret?" she whispers into my ear.

I know even if I told her as a secret, she would have told him. In fact, the chances are probably higher.

Sylv raises an eyebrow at me – almost daringly.

And if it's not about Paige – don't f*cking speak to me. Stay the f*ck away.

I bite my lip. "I still think 'C' is Hayden."

"How did you even find out about 'C' Rose?" Sylv says sharply, testing me.

I grind my teeth together. "Tallon, not that it's important."

"Shouldn't Tallon know then? Why don't we just ask him?" he snaps.

"Ok – let's f*cking call him then, is that what you want me to do?" I b*tch back.

Avalon's eyes flicker between us like she's watching a tennis match.

Then movement behind me makes me whip around. It's that cleaner or janitor again – snooping around. Without a second of hesitation, I chase them.

I hear Avalon and Sylv chasing after me as the three of us chase the janitor. It's after school so the halls are empty and it's easy to keep an eye on him.

I follow him fast and quick – but I'm not as fit as I was. By the time I catch up to him, he's locked himself in a small janitors cupboard.

F*ck! Then I remember that the key uncle gave me works on all the doors.

I open it, still waiting for Sylv and Avalon to catch up to me. I throw myself into the room. The room looks like a small study – and there's a journal on the desk that is the exact replica of Paige's. Oh my gosh – he stole Paige's diary.

I leap forward, snatching it from his desk and he tackles me into the ground. I'm winded and everything is blurry as he tries to rip it from my hands. But my grip is firm and steady and my fingers lock around the diary. My whole life weighting on this diary.

Then I feel him pull the diary forwards, and me with it – then slam us both down till my head bashes against the concrete floor. I scream in agony.

Suddenly Sylv is there and he rams into the guy, forcing him onto the floor. If Sylv wasn't a professional fighter – I'd be worried. The two wrestle while I creep backwards to lean against the wall.

Clearly this cleaner knows how to fight – every punch he throws is targeted. Sylv actually has competition. This janitor is definitely not just a janitor.

I whimper as the pain in my head doubles, then watch as Sylv strikes one last time and the cleaner falls unconscious to the floor.

I cradle my head in my hands – feeling as if it has been split in two. I bite my lip with a 'argh!'.

Sylv stands in front of me. "Are you ok?"

"No," I sigh. "Argh – my brain!"

Sylv leans in front of me. "Look at me."

I try to look up but the light hurts my eyes.

"Look," he demands again, bringing his hands to grip my chin and roughly pulling it upwards. He looks intensely at both my eyes – so closely that I hold my breath.

Then he lets me go.

"You don't have a concussion," he finally says and stands up, not offering me his hand.

I take a deep breath as Avalon finally shows up. She rushes over to me. "Rose – are you ok? You're brain is bleeding!"

I lift my finger to my forehead and feel something wet.

Sylv looks murderous as he watches the blood drip down my forehead. He's eyes tighten on the guy, who's now regaining consciousness.

"I'm going to kick his f*cking *ss."

"Don't! Ask him what he wants," I say, my own voice sounding foreign.

Sylv grabs some hoses from the supply closet beside him and ties the cleaner down to the chair. As he slowly comes to, he looks between us in defeat.

"Thirty years in the game and I'm let down by a group of teenagers. I'm retiring," he says with a groan. He looks about fifty, now that I've given him a better look. I almost feel bad for the beating Sylv gave him.

Avalon helps me stand and I walk over to him slowly.

"Why have you been spying on us?"

He shifts uncomfortably in the seat.

"Why did you take..." I reword. "Why do you have Paige's diary?"

His eyes narrow as he looks between the three of us.

"Answer!" Avalon yells impatiently.

He flinches. "F*cked if I know."

Sylv mercilessly throws a punch at his jaw.

Now Avalon and I flinch.

He throws another, then another.

"Stop!" I hiss at him. "Tell us. Please." I plead with the janitor, almost falling to my knees if Avalon wasn't here to catch me.

For some reason, his expression changes. It softens. "I'm a private investigator."

"Investigating who?" Avalon pitches in.

"Paige Ascott."

"Who hired you?" Sylv growls.

"Her parents. Look kids, I know f*ck all. I'm just doing my job. I investigate the kid, then I give them the goss. Seems like she was doing some sh*t they weren't happy about. But f*cked it I know." The janitor spits blood onto the floor in front of us.

"What did they hire you to find out?" I say.

"Nothing in specific. They wanted me to observe her routine – enough to be able to replicate it on my own. That's the only instruction I have."

I wonder about asking him who C is. Maybe he would know. "Did she talk to any boys?" I blurt out.

"She talked to a lot of boys."

Sylv lets out a low grumble. He closes his hand in another fist and I reach forward to grab his arm and say, "stop."

He doesn't calm down, but does lower his arm.

"Anyone called C?"

"I was hired to investigate her – not her acquaintances. You want anything else – ask the Ascotts."

With that, I pull Sylv and Avalon out of the room. We talk for a few moments, then mutually agree we're done with him and leave him tied up in the room. We figure he'll get out on his own in time – and we'll be long gone by then.