Chapter 16- Protectors

To the far left side of the yard behind the house was what looked like a fighting ring with people inside. Gaining upon them I gasped as I watched punches being thrown and legs sweeping at feet knocking their opponent down.

Men were egging the others on from outside of the circle, pushing them back in if they stepped out. They yelled profanities and suggestions on what move to use next and even growled at each other.

"Remember when I told you about an Alpha and Beta?" Sebastian asked.

I shook my head but kept my eyes glued to the fighters and watched with amazement. They were so graceful yet so vicious, deadly.

"These fighters here are another rank in the hierarchy. They are known by us as the protectors."

Staring at him like he had ten heads, I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of having protectors. Why would he need people like that?

"Everyone involved in my life knows how to fight, protect themselves." He added. "Heightening your senses, taking in your surroundings completely and using them to your advantage will save your life one day. But it's not just your eyes you need to train, it's your ears, your nose, your hands."

Everything he said was making complete sense. I did understand the idea of protection, especially self defense, but why so many people?

Leaving alone the few questions I had bouncing around inside my head, the men quietly bowed to Sebastian and continued on fighting.

Pressing his hand against my upper back we proceeded deeper into the yard. Laying at the bottom of a small hill was what looked like all misplaced items.

There were tree trunks, boulders, even a vehicle that laid strewn in our path. Eyeing Sebastian I walked over to the humongous rock and slid my hand around it. "What is all this for?" I asked.

"This is an obstacle course of sorts if you want to call it that. The men will jump and climb over the objects in an attempt to gain entry into the tree lined area on the other side. However, they are met with a great deal of resistance, making it even more important to get to their target safely and quickly."

"Can I watch, maybe one day when the men are doing it?" I questioned, eager to see how they get around and over these "obstacles".

"Absolutely! Let's just make sure you are comfortable with everything else I need to tell you first." He said smiling.

I swallowed hard, getting a little nervous about what he just said. I decided to just take it in strides and go with it. I had nothing to lose at this point

Grabbing my hand in his he led me back toward the house. I was quite thankful for this move as the training area and obstacle course smelt like a locker room.

When the smell of the roses finally filled my nose I welcomed the refreshing scent with a deep inhale. I must have closed my eyes for a second because Sebastian grabbed my shoulders so I didn't sway.

"They smell amazing." I said to Sebastian, opening my eyes again to see their beauty.

"Yes they do. This is my Grandmother's garden." He smiled, "She was very proud of it."

I smiled sweetly as I took in the relaxed but sad look he had on his face telling me she was no longer here.

"When grandma died, my mom took over caring for the garden, adding the tulips as a remembrance to her." He said quietly as he rubbed his fingers around the soft petals.

"That's really sweet." I added.

Standing back up, Sebastian led me to the front of the house where we went inside.

I was in complete awe at the exact replica that stood before me. I could make my way around this house easily with my eyes closed.

Showing me around the only differences I noticed were there were ten bedrooms instead of four. The back patio was much larger than mine, but I could tell it was a new addition to the home.

Pulling a chair out from the table and gesturing for me to sit down, I plopped myself in the chair and crossed my legs.

Feeling a little nervous I held my hands together in my lap to keep them from trembling. The smell of cookies was faint in the kitchen telling me a batch was made not long ago.

Another one of my guilty pleasures, chocolate chip cookies.

Pouring a glass of lemonade Sebastian placed it in front of me before taking a seat himself. He put both of his hands on the table and I could see his veins starting to pop out of his arms.

"Veronica, its very important that you keep an open mind with what I'm going to tell you." His words stern and strong.

"I will do the best I can." I agreed but feeling unsure in this moment if I actually could.

"Good." He smiled, then held his hands out to me.

Placing my hands in his I noticed how big and strong they were. His tanned skin complimented my light skin quite nicely and a smile grew across my face.

Sebastian started off with a very peculiar question that left me searching my mind and reading his face to see if he was serious.

"Do you believe in fairy tales?"