Chapter 42- Defeat

Dedicated to Divine1888

"Breathe. Breathe." I told myself, grasping the crystal tightly between my hands. I needed to make my way into his body, deep into his veins, and swim with the blood that rushes through him.

Remembering everything from healing William, I grounded my soul to the very ground in which I walked. I rose my head as high as I could and allowed my eyes to flutter closed.

A burst of light brightened my vision. I could finally see his insides, the pink anatomy that makes him who he is. I could see the very heart that holds all the love and hate he harbors.

I examined his body as a whole. An array of colors took over his organs. His kidneys a beautiful purple. His liver a deep green. His lungs a solid teal. Some how I knew these colors were safe and for now, his organs were healthy.

Scanning the rest of his body I saw nothing abnormal, nothing that would cause the state of torment he was in.

"There's nothing here." I said in my mind as panic started to set in. If I couldn't find anything wrong I would not be able to heal him. I needed something to touch, something to cradle in my hands. Something to transfer my healing power into.

"Ground yourself again." Abigail whispered. "It's there, you just have to find it."

"I don't know what part of "there is nothing here" you didn't understand." I spat out. "His body looks fine. And what kind of healer am I if I have to find the problem. Can't regular healers just heal a body as a whole?"

The wave of emotions that took over me were extremely heightened. They felt raw, intense.

After a moment of silence I knew Abigail wasn't going to acknowledge my nasty comment. I didn't mean to snap, but the frustration and anger that bubbled within me was enough to make me explode.

Deciding to search the easiest thing first, I started along his physical body, beginning at his head. Keeping myself grounded, still in healers form I combed my fingers through his soft hair searching for bumps or lumps. I sighed loudly in relief after my search came up clean.

Moving down to the sides of his neck I gently prodded his skin, feeling his lymph nodes under my fingers. They were enlarged, slightly protruding from its assigned place.

Wrapping my hands behind his head, I rolled my fingers from the nape of his neck down to the top of his back. Adjusting my hands to continue my search, a small bump stopped my fingers from moving.

Taking a look, I could see a small circular hole, small enough to be missed by the naked eye. It was about the size of a needle. For a second I thought back to all the work Dr. Ellen and the nurses did.

***

FLASHBACK

Everything was happening was fast. The hospital room quickly filled with nurses and doctors from surrounding packs.

"All at once! Ready? 1, 2, 3 lift."

Mitchell's body was instantly transferred onto the gurney, his lifeless arms slipping off the sides.

The clinking of metal echoed throughout the room as everyone was hustling around, placing instruments on the metal tables.