Chapter 26-Who Am I?

It is official, Cade gives me the creeps. The more time I spent down in the cells with him the more my body reacted in a negative way. He made the hair on my arms stand up straight and gave me anxiety. "I would have hated to be mated to him, poor Miranda." I thought.

Standing at the island I took a white porcelain mug from out of the cabinet and carefully placed it down. The frail handle was starting to crack from years of abuse, but due to sentimental value I couldn't part with it.

Pouring in the hot liquid I placed a silver spoon inside and swirled the contents around careful not to splash any over the sides. It was at times like these when I'm confused and conflicted that I wished my Mother was here offering her advice and guidance.

Somehow she always knew what to say to comfort me and what to do to bring my feet back on solid ground. We always had a cup of tea while conversing about my problems.

Without warning a surge of pain rippled through my hand. Distracted by my daydreaming I started stirring more vigorously resulting in the liquid burning my skin.

Swearing under my breath I placed my hand under cold water to sooth the stinging just as my phone pinged. With my free hand I picked it up searching the messages for the new alert.

Mitchell: Hey sis! Can I stop by, I need to talk to you about something.

Figuring he wanted to speak about my out lash on Sebastian and Tessa, which was all an act, I reluctantly agreed.

Me: Yeah, come on over. The door is always open.

While waiting I walked around the house opening some windows to air out the stuffiness that came with being away for a few days. My poor home abandoned, unable to see the sun to warm its cold floors. Being sealed up tight took a toll on the air.

Opening the window in the front room I saw Mitchell pull up into the driveway as his blue pick up truck crunched over the gravel. He must have been right around the corner to make it to me that quick.

Stepping out on the patio I waited for him to exit the vehicle and make his way to me. I could tell he was coming from work since he was in brown work boots and a red flannel button up shirt.

I always teased him and asked him if he was a farmer, I could just picture a straw hat upon his head. According to him the flannel made him feel more masculine.

"To what do I owe this honor?" I smiled playfully while kissing his cheek and embracing him in a hug.

"Can we go in and sit down?" He asked with a serious look on his face. For some reason the urgency to talk took priority over even saying hello.

Cocking my head to the side and squinting my eyes I agreed and moved out of his way so he could enter the house.

"What's up, what's wrong?" I asked.

Mitchell only ever asked to talk when something was wrong. The last time he uttered those words he asked to move in with me after he lost his job.

Sitting at the table he was nervous, hands trembling and biting the inside of his lip. "Veronica, I've wanted to share this secret of mine with you for a long time and I think now is the right time."

"What secret could he possibly have?" I thought. Scenarios were playing in my head on what it could be. Maybe he is secretly married or maybe he killed someone. At this point, I had no idea.

Running his fingers through his hair he rested his elbows on the table and placed his chin on his knuckles. "I know you've been spending a lot of time with Sebastian Cross."

Watching him I shook my head yes in agreement.

"And I know you know he is a werewolf." He said blatantly.

In complete shock my mouth hung open in a "How did you know that?" Motion. Now I was the one who was becoming nervous.

"How do you know that, Mitchell? I was told very few humans know."

Shaking his head and smirking a little bit he rested his hands on mine. "I know because I am part of the Black Lace pack."

"What? Are you mated to a werewolf like I am?" I asked, still very confused.

"Veronica, I am part werewolf. That is how I'm part of the pack." The words slipped off his tongue like water rolling off a tarp.

"Excuse me? You're part werewolf? How is that even possible?"

Picking up his chair and sliding closer to me he attempted to calm my already tingling nerves by gently placing his arm around my shoulders.

"I can explain everything. It might be difficult to hear, but it is the honest truth." He breathed out, tugging me closer to his side.

"If you are part werewolf then I am too, right?" I asked, pretty sure I was correct. If my memory served me correctly, you can't just become a werewolf, the bloodline has to be there.

Looking at me with tears in his eyes, he shook his head no. I could feel and see his heart breaking as he squeezed me tighter.

Taking in a deep breath he spoke, "Our father is not your real dad. That's why I haven't talked to him in years. He told me on a hunting trip that-."

I stopped him from speaking. I needed a minute for everything to sink in, to accept the words he just spoke.

"I don't understand." I said, shaking my head no, knowing that wasn't possible.

"Mom met him when you were a baby. They decided he would raise you as his own." Mitchell whispered.

"Why? Why didn't anyone tell me?" I begged for an answer as the tears ran down my face and landed on my arm.

"To protect you, to save you from the pain you feel right now." He said genuinely, while rubbing my back. "He took care of you like his own, V, you can't blame him."

I couldn't be mad at Mitchell, this was not his secret to tell, it was my Mother's and who I thought was my Father.

After a few minutes of sobbing I attempted to gather my emotions and put them aside to ask more questions.

"Mitch, if Dad isn't my real father, than who is?"

Not saying anything we both sat quietly looking at one another. Running my hands down my face and wiping away the salty tears realization hit me.

I don't even know who I am.