Chapter 51- Men Suck

"No? What do you mean, no?" Sebastian asked, confusion apparent on his face.

"What I mean is, I will not allow you to promise me the Moon and the stars. That kind of promise is for lovers. Two people that love each other unconditionally. And as much as it hurts me to say this, it needs to be said. You do not love me. Hell, you don't even know who I am. If we ever get back to that point again I will change my answer, but right now, I have to say no."

He was hurt. I could tell by his defeated demeanor, but what else was I going to say, yes? I promised myself I would never fall into the trap where I love someone but the feeling is not mutual. I won't subject myself to that kind of hurt again.

FLASHBACK

"Any ideas on what we can have for dinner?" I asked Damien as I stood at the sink washing up the remainder of the dishes. Our dishwasher broke so I had to manually wash everything.

"Whatever you want, you know I'm not picky." Damien groaned, seeming annoyed I asked.

Walking away from the sink I snuck up behind him and wrapped my arms around his neck. When he was in a grumpy mood I always made it a point to show him I loved him.

"You know I love you right?" I whispered in his ear as I nibbled on it playfully.

Jerking his head away from me, he patted my arm and nodded his head. "I know you do." He breathed out.

Pulling my body away from his I walked around the chair so we were face to face. His eyes were downcast and his bottom lip was sucked into his mouth being held in place by his top teeth.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my voice shaky.

Raising his gaze to mine, my stomach immediately knotted up. I could feel the tension in the air and knew whatever came out of his mouth was not going to be good.

"You know I love you, Veronica. You have been my stars that lit up my dark nights and my sun during the day, but,"

"But what, Damien?" I interrupted. 

He let out a breath he seemed to have been harboring for a while. "But I'm just not in love with you anymore."

My heart instantly sank to the pit of my stomach as the feeling of pins and needles shot up and down my body. How could this happen? I thought we were happy.

"Why? How is that possible?" I croaked. "I thought we were happy. I thought everything was going good."

Standing up, he walked to the other side of the table creating space between us. He knew when I got upset I was a little crazy with my hand movements.

"It was, V-V. I do love you, don't get me wrong. I am just not in love with you. I don't feel the chemistry anymore. I think we are both just, comfortable."

I raised an eyebrow, stunned at the words escaping his mouth. Aren't you suppose to be comfortable in a relationship?

"Who is she?" I blurted out, anger bubbling inside me. That had to be the reason he was doing this.

"Woah, Woah. No one said anything about someone else." He defended.

"If there is one thing I know about you Damien Hart, it's that you always find a woman who will take care of you."