Chapter 20- What Is A Mate?

Getting in my car I drove straight to Sebastian. I honestly didn't know what any of this meant and my head was spinning from everything that continues to happen.

Gaining ground on the gravel road I made my way up to the driveway. Before I can even place the car in park Erik is standing at the door as if he was prepared for my arrival.

Slamming the Hummer door I ran to the bottom of the steps eager to get to Sebastian.

"What are you doing here, Veronica?" Erik asked, concern apparent in his voice.

Not caring who or what was inside the house I hurdled past him and stopped in the foyer. "Shit, I don't know what room is Sebastian's." I thought, mentally smacking myself in the forehead for my stupidity.

"Where is Sebastian? I need to talk to him now." The urgency in my voice was unmistakable.

"He's not here."

"What do you mean he's not here, he lives here." I began getting irritated and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Veronica, sit down and I will expl-."

"No," I interrupted. "You will get him now!" The growl coming from deep within my body.

Taking the order from me as if he had no choice he pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes for a brief minute.. "He will be here in a few minutes."

"Thank you. Now you will sit down and explain a few things to me before he gets here." I demanded.

Without hesitation he showed me to the living room and took a seat on the couch. The room was a maroon color with black leather couches and glass end tables spread about, pretty basic.

Sitting on the leather it gave way to my weight and I sank into it, welcoming its comfort. Gazing around the room there were pictures hanging perfectly on the walls. Some were of Sebastian and his family while others were of Erik and his.

"What do you want to talk about?" Erik asked, quickly regaining my attention.

"Do you know a woman named Miranda?"

"Uh-um- well.-" he stuttered.

"I'll talk it from here. Thank you Erik." Sebastian chimed in, saving Erik from his tongue tied state.

Standing in the doorway with his arms resting on the molding my eyes darted to his bare chest. Wearing nothing but basketball shorts and a towel around his shoulders he gestured for me to follow him.

Seeing Sebastian with no shirt on was like seeing Channing Tatum in Magic Mike, Yum. Watching every move his body made I couldn't help but wonder what other surprises were hidden under his clothes.

And with that thought, Sebastian chuckled and turned around to face me. "You should be very careful with what you think missy." A smile growing from ear to ear.

Just standing there staring I was completely speechless. If I said anything it would end up more word vomit so I decided to just smile instead.

Making our way to the end of the hall he opened the door on the right and held it open for me to enter. Stepping into a large sitting area I could tell it was Sebastian's bedroom.

The smell of musk filled the air and the slightest hint of men's body wash lingered as I made my way deeper into the room.

"You can sit wherever you want. I'm going to go change." Sebastian advised while pointing to the other room attached to where we stood.

The sitting area was neat and orderly. A tall bookcase sat in the corner of the room with a gold wingback reading chair next to it. A suede love seat faced a small flat screen tv that hung on the opposite wall.

Instead of taking a seat I browsed through his massive collection of books. Touching each spine as I moved to read the next title I noticed their age.

Making a racquet as he came in the room, Sebastian flopped his body on the couch. One arm around the back and sitting on one hip he patted the seat next to him.

I gladly sat down just wanting to be close to him. After everything I so badly wanted him to just wrap his big arms around me and hold me.

"Okay, so who do you want to know about?" Sebastian questioned with his one eye brow raised.

Taking a deep breath, "A woman named Miranda."

After pondering a few minutes the name didn't seem to register with him. If he was the "big bad wolf" as he claimed, why didn't he know her?

"I don't know a Miranda. Why?" I now had all of his attention, just the way I liked it.

Explaining to the whole fiasco, his jaw clenched and his temple pulsated with each grinding motion he put upon his teeth. Grabbing my arm he pulled it toward him.

Her finger marks visibly branded on my skin. He ran his fingertips over each bruise and his breathing became heavier.

"I'm going to kill the bitch who hurt you." He growled, his eyes changing to a deep black.

That was a new one, I've never seen his eyes change like that. Gently cupping his face with my hands he grabbed it and breathed in my scent. His eyes softening, they returned to their normal blue with gray.

Leaning closer I placed a kiss on his forehead and laid mine against his. "Explain to me what a mate is." Moving the conversation away from Miranda to keep him calm.

"It's a soul mate for werewolves. A connection so strong it is felt between both wolves." He sighed. "I didn't want to tell you like this, but it seems I have no choice."

Swallowing hard I waited for him to speak. My hands were trembling and my heart was racing at an unnatural speed.

"You are my mate. I knew the moment you arrived in Black Lace. I could smell you and feel you. The connection is different between wolves than it is with a human and a wolf."

That's why my body reacted like it did when he was around, when he touched me.

"Because you are my mate that makes you the Luna of the pack. A queen of sorts. You help run the pack along side of me."

Once again, information overload. I am trying to understand all of this but I am really struggling. I don't know if I'm ready for this. The concern obvious on my face Sebastian rubs his hands over mine.

"The pack is searching into who Miranda is. All we know right now is she is new rogue. I promise you Veronica, I will not let her hurt you."

"And what about you? If I don't do what she says, you die." I cried out.

"So we pretend to release the rogues." He said, concocting a plan in his head.

"What about everything else?" I asked.

"That will be on your time and your time only. When you are ready for me to mark you, I will. When you are ready to become Luna, you will."

I don't know how it was possible, but I was madly in love with this man. He could be a jerk and stubborn at times, but I liked it.

Picking my hand up and placing a kiss on my knuckles his eyes bore deep into mine. My body tingling and aching for him to kiss me, but he just smiled.

"Let's go teach you how to fight."