Chapter 46- Craze

"Stop provoking him, Veronica." Erik mind-linked. "He might not have his wolf, but he is stronger than us both. If he comes after you, he will kill you."

Looking at him I could see that he was not the same Sebastian I had fallen in love with. His eyes were lifeless, dark. Even his scent was different.

Exhaling loudly I looked toward Erik. "Stand down." I whispered, allowing him to submit to his Alpha. His wolf bowed, then carefully retreated to the back of the room.

"I told you," Sebastian started before I interrupted him.

"No, I told him to stand down. He did not follow your orders, he followed mine." I said as a small stabbing pain shot through my stomach. The pain from being in heat was returning again, but I wanted to make a point before I hurried off to cry.

"I will no longer cry over you Sebastian Cross. I will no longer wish that you would remember me. From this day forward, I will be this pack's Luna, but I will not consider you my mate. I guess my grandmother was right, we were meant to be with our own kind."

As soon as the words slipped off my tongue, I instantly regretted them. How could I be so stupid as to let my anger blur the love I have for this man? My heart literally ached, like a small piece of it broke.

Sebastian just stood there looking like a deer caught in headlights. He raised his hand up to his heart as his face contorted the smallest bit. His heart just broke, the same as mine.

"Leave us, now." Sebastian ordered to Erik who was back in human form.

Erik shook his head. "I'm sorry, I can't in good conscience leave you alone with her. I don't trust that you won't hurt her."

I smiled internally, happy Erik was sticking up for me. I really did have a family here in this pack. "It's okay, Erik." I interrupted. "I will yell for you if I need you."

Reluctantly nodding his head he walked to the door. "Sebastian, don't do anything stupid." He said before the door clicked closed behind him.

Now I was truly alone with the beast. My heart rate picked up as my hands started becoming clammy. I was nervous. Nervous he would actually hurt me.

"Do you really think you are my mate, Veronica?" Sebastian smirked as he rubbed his hands together.

"Yes." I breathed. I guess his own mark on my skin wasn't enough to convince him.

"I would like to prove something to you. Something only true mates would feel."

My stomach knotted up as bile rose to my throat. I didn't know what he was going to do, but from the look on his face I knew it wasn't good.

He walked to the oak dresser and pulled the top drawer out. Moving mounds of clothes to the sides he finally found what he was looking for.

Using both hands, he pulled apart a brown leather case revealing a hunting knife. The blade glistened as he ran his fingers over it testing it's sharpness.

"See, only true mates can feel the others pain. If you are who you say, I will feel all the pain that is about to be inflicted upon you."

He slowly started stalking closer to me as I took a few steps back. My body was suddenly stopped by the bookcase behind me, preventing me from going any farther. I searched his face, begging him with my eyes not to do what I feared he was going to.

"Please, don't do this. Neither of us needs to feel any more pain right now." I admitted.

Looking at the blade he twisted it around in his hands and smiled. The Sebastian I knew wouldn't go to this extreme to prove something. Especially something as trivial as proof of mates.