Chapter 40- The Promised

With her arms still wrapped around my waist I fell to my knees as pain ricocheted through my body. A scorching heat rumbled in my stomach shooting up into my head flushing my skin as it traveled. I winced, trying to hide the agony that boiled within me.

"You there! Get her back to my cottage." I heard Abigail yell to someone who was close by. The once private cubby was filled with curious eyes watching my face contort with discomfort.

Without missing a beat a young man scooped me up bridal style into his big, muscular arms. The coolness that radiated off of him felt so damn good against my painful skin.

"We have to get her back. Her mate is dying and he can feel all of her pain right now. This could literally kill him. Then she will give up and die herself." She said quietly to the man, but I heard every word that slipped off her tongue.

"I've got it under control, now let me be." His husky voice rumbled through his chest sending the vibration into mine, leaving my air constricted.

Another round of heat burned deep into my bones. "Make it stop." I screamed out. I couldn't take it much more. I was so tired of being in pain. So tired of the torture my body has continuously succumbed too. But this was different, it wasn't my mate bond. This searing, stabbing pain that developed inside me was like knives were dipped in alcohol before slicing my skin, the burn more excruciating than the cut.

"It's okay my angel, I'm going to help you." He promised into my ear. "Just hold on tight."

In an instant, the white room was gone and I could smell the scent of dirt and leaves. I knew exactly where I was. The woods were starting to blur, reminding me of my attack. My eyes hazy. Blue, green, and browns all dancing together perfectly like a collage of colors on an artists brush.

My small frame jostled in his clutch as he pumped his legs faster and faster through the forest. "We are almost there." He smiled. With every bump and leap and slithering pain, I stared at this man who carried me.

Before he could catch me staring I clutched my eyes tighter together praying to anyone that could hear my silent plea to give me some relief.

Then he stopped running. The spinning of the forest gently ceasing. He kneeled down in the dirt and brought his hands over to my face.

He began running his hands over my head, a green hue dancing over my skin. Slowly he moved farther down to my shoulders, than my chest, before lingering on my mid section. A mist  rose out of me and into his hands, dissipating like a fog off a lake. The once beautiful green orb had transformed into a murky gray, making me cringe at the sight of it.

My vision obscured as my head slumped down onto his shoulder. My breathing evening out, rising and falling to the rhythm of his breaths.

"Thank you." I looked up at him from under my lashes and smiled slightly. The pain was finally gone.

"You're welcome my angel. I'm Ace by the way."

My heart started racing a little bit and the butterfly effect I so dreadfully hated came back to haunt me. Each time he blinked his eyes and looked down at me my stomach fluttered.

His strong square jaw only perfected his already good looks. His eyes were like emeralds piercing into my very soul as he gazed directly into my eyes. His short charcoal hair laid perfectly on his head, perfectly in place.