Chapter 17- The Truth Revealed

"What the hell kind of question is that? "Do you believe in fairy tales?" What am I, two?" I thought.

My questions to myself must have been written all over my face because Sebastian giggled at the face I made.

"Um, well," I started, "I use to believe in fairy tales, but that was a long time ago." I added.

"Then you know that fairy tales are based off of some sort of truth, even if it's minuscule. Some are believed to have been created from legends or spiritual beliefs, did you know that?" Sebastian questioned.

I shook my head no, and kept listening to his story like a child being read it's favorite book.

"Let's use Little Red Riding Hood for example. The first published version of it was in the 17th century. Then more and more started being released as time went on. The only part that seems to remain the same in every rendition is that Little Red Riding Hood is approached in the woods by a wolf with whom she engages in conversation with. Now, we know from experience that wolves can't talk to humans, nor can any animal for that matter. So we know that part if the story is false. But what if it was actually possible. That a link between a human and a wolf existed and they could speak to one another. That a man could willingly turn between human and wolf."

I interrupted him, "Like werewolves?"

"Exactly. That would make the tale more believable." He smiled and gave my hands a quick squeeze, obviously happy I was following his thinking.

"Okay, but what about them going crazy during a full moon and them changing? All that stuff." I added into the conversation.

"Ah, good question, Veronica. Folklore tells us that werewolves are half man, half wolf. When the full moon approaches and is at its peak, the man would change into a vicious werewolf and go on a killing rampage."

"Correct." I followed along.

"What if werewolves did exist, lived amongst unknowing humans and protected the town from undesirables and attacks instead of killing everything in sight?"

I sat thinking for a second. I knew for a fact I was not a fan of wolves. If that were the case though, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue especially if they didn't know.

"If that were true, it would be a little scary, but not difficult to deal with if people did find out." I said, while still taking in all this history information.

"What's your feelings toward wolves?" Sebastian asked, leaning in a little closer rubbing his fingers over my hands.

Taking a deep breath in, I decided to tell him everything about my attack. His face paled at certain parts and I could see anger growing inside him.

"Can you describe this wolf to me?" He asked through gritted teeth.

"He was grey and white, looked like a normal wolf." I concluded, scratching the side of my head trying to think of anything else.

"No weird markings on him or scars?"

The more I thought about my encounter, I had to close my eyes to try and remember a little better. Squinting as the image of the wolf came into frame I took notice of its face.

"He had a long jagged scar down the right side of his face. Some of the fur around his eye was missing too." I said, opening my eyes back open to rid the ugly beast from my sight. "It's eyes were solid black."

A sudden breath escaped his mouth, and he ran his fingers through his hair. I could tell his mind was jumping all over the place as he began getting fidgety.

"Why are you asking all these questions?"

Sebastian obviously knew something I didn't and it was starting to bother me. Grabbing his cup off of the table he walked over to the sink and placed it inside. He turned around slowly, leaning against the counter top as he did and crossed his arms.

"Werewolves are real, that's what attacked you." He said quietly in a serious tone.

I just looked at him, a little taken back by his response. Thinking he was kidding I let out a little giggle. "I'll let him humor me." I thought to myself.

Sebastian stood still just watching my reaction and waiting for me to say something.

Being the smart ass I am, I cracked what I thought was a wise one. "And you know this how? Are you friends with Little Red Riding Hood?" Taunting him into a response.

Calmly walking over to the table he placed his hands on the edge. Looking deep into me eyes he leaned down and whispered, "Because I am one."