Arc One Ch. 3

Releasing a her final deep breath in a slow and gentle exhale, Kira opened her eyes feeling those turbulent memories and emotions finally settling down slightly.

While going over her current physical form she found her normal sensory settings to be way too high for this body's already supernaturally enhanced senses. In the middle of readjusting it to a more acceptable ratio in line with the body's natural capabilities she felt a hand pulling her back to consciousness once again.

Blinking her eyes open slowly with tears now clinging to the edges she was greeted by the pretty but solemn face of Edith. The older girl didn't say anything before pulling her into a tight hug. 

"Thank you Edith..." She spoke through the emotions once again clogging her throat while wiping away a few stray tears.

For a moment the older girl was silent as a mixture of emotion showed on her face. "Kira I want to apologize if my attitude seemed unwelcoming. Actually I was very happy at first, then when I found out that Aunt Karin wasn't joining you it made me upset. I was missing her and now..." All the tears Edith had been trying to hold back came flooding out.

Standing up Kira pulled Edith into a comforting hug. From the memories she now held Kira had an idea of how close the pair had been before Karin left the Stonemason pack with Edwin.

Wiping away her tears as she pulled away Edith brought up her usual reserved expression that did nothing to hide her sadness. "Let's go help out with dinner, momma mentioned that both big brother Tobias and Theodore will be coming home tonight."

Following Edith down the long hallway and into the open living space where she had previously had woken up before going further down the opposite area that held a large kitchen. Sitting in the center of the room sat a dining table that could fit ten comfortably. While surrounding the back wall were thick sturdy tables with an area for storage underneath. The smell of food being cooked grew stronger as they had made their way in where Ingrid was busily moving about.

Noticing them walking in Ingrid turned and looked over her shoulder. "Come over here and help me finish up this other deer leg Edith and you Kira dear can start setting the table for nine." She called out while cutting into a slab of meat.

Edith acknowledged her mother before pulling Kira over to the water pump. Kira stuck her small hands up under the water. Edith filled the small bowl kept within the bottom of the basin. Then grabbing some soap both of them quickly washed and dried their hands.

Edith made her way over to the leg and slightly picking it up and turning it over. Sitting not too far from her reach was a small clay bowl that held a mixture of herbs that Ingrid started placing onto the meat; Edith began sprinkling the mixture liberally along the surface in a skillful manner.

Kira followed the still quite fragmented memories to a set of shelves carved out of the stone by the dining table. Wooden plates sat in stacks on one shelf while glazed clay bowls were placed in stacks of three's. On hooks small handled cups hung that looked to be created from a gourd. Taking up the plates first and setting them out before carefully taking on the clay bowls that had been brought back from Ingrid pack. As for the strange cups with handles she managed to do two trips back and forth while trying to remember where the utensils were kept. Placing a cup next to the plate and bowl she noticed a low vase like object with sticks.

Ingrid had brought some of her pack's eating habits with her and passed them onto her children and even her mother-in-law to some extent. Leaving the low vase alone, she had the feeling that the ones who would be using them would grab them out for themselves.

Turning to the mother and daughter pair who were now working on something else. "Finished Kira dear?" She called out not bothering to look over her shoulder.

Kira felt her heart stop for a moment not expecting to be so accurately called out by Ingrid. "Uh y-yes I am Aunt Ingrid. Is there something else you want me to do for you?" She asked as a bad premonition about this world started to creep up on her.

Ingrid thought about it for a moment. "You can go make sure that Jun and Hana have finished up their chores and washed up for dinner."

Giving an affirmative noise of approval toward her, she left the kitchen to go and find the two youths. 

Kira went outside where the two children liked to play after finishing their chores.

Hana came into view first sitting on the ground playing with a small pair of wooden dolls. While to the side she could see Jun practicing different attack patterns against a stone pillar with a set of wooden points sticking out.

"Hana have you finished doing your chores?" She asked walking up to the small girl who held an appearance close to her father, a stronger jaw with a pair of dark brown eyes which held a deep sadness within their depths.

She gave a nod before weakly voicing out. "I finished my chores."

From not too far away Jun took another swipe at the stationary enemy and then stopped. Sweat could be seen pouring from his brow with a posture that showed his irritation. "I am done too."

Hana held up a thicker cloth commonly used as a towel towards Jun. "You stink, momma's not going to be happy with you Jun." She spoke softly but in a dead serious tone that the boy who strongly resembled his mother and shrugged while taking the offered towel from her hand.

Giving a return shrug Hana muttered. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Let's get the two of you cleaned up." She said while offering a hand to Hana who was still sitting there on the ground holding her dolls.

Taking up Kira's out stretched hand Hana pulled herself up off the ground before she tucked the pair of dolls into a simple leather pouch at her side.

Kira noticed this and waited for Hana to secure the pouch before making a move. The younger girl surprised her a bit by reaching back out for her hand. A form of silent support came from her as they walked back into the cave.

In a smaller room than the rest a small natural pool of warm water could be seen in the middle. The stone around it had been carved out carefully to form a circle around the pool. Within the water sat a basin of clean water. Being the oldest Kira retrieved a pair of clean towels from a small wicker basket at the side before dipping them within the heated water contained in the basin.

Both Jun and Hana each found their own bars of soap, Kira waited a moment before handing them the now wet towels. From the side she watched as they began to meticulously clean away even the smallest specks of dirt underneath their fingernails bewildering her slightly. Jun also made quick work of scrubbing his face clean.

Once they were done Kira grabbed another pair of clean towels and dipped them in the basin of water before handing them over to the patiently waiting pair. After using a larger towel to dry away the droplets of water Kira found they appeared much cleaner than she would've expected.