Arc One Ch. 16

The faint chill that could still be felt within the air didn't bother Kira as she silently examined the outer region the Gloomy Forest. Darkness, like a thick miasma clung along the twisted forms of the blackened trees could be seen. A foul odor that was reminiscent of death and decay got carried along by the shallow breezes that made its way through the forest.

Taking a deep breath Kira loosened her limbs before suddenly taking off towards a particularly large tree that appeared much older than the rest. Her movements appeared well practiced as she seemingly floated up to the first branch. Once stable on a branch she found the tips of her fingers covered in blood, sweat rolled down from her brow and off her chin. Cleaning away the small red droplets Kira noticed that her body's natural heal had already closed the tiny scratches. 

Appearing more confident now after taking the first step she continued into the Gloomy Forest. From one branch to the next Kira made quick yet impossibly light movements that propelled her deeper into the darkness. At times the skin of her fingers would be scratched open in those very brief moments she would stop and look around.

During these last four years she had read up on this world finding it strange, such supernatural creatures as werewolves that reproduce in such an unnatural way through giving a cursed bite could be found without a single human and were steadily reproducing like any natural creature.

The humans of this world had vanished long ago due to a zombie apocalypse wiping out most of the population. Only the werewolves that seemingly came from nowhere were immune to this wretched virus and managed to live through the evolution of this world.

The climate shifted oceans levels began to drop and raise in unnatural ways, plants that weren't poisonous turned lethal and bloodthirsty, ominous patches of black fog appeared while small things turned impossibly larger and the herbivore nature nearly became nonexistent due to the lack of food.

From the limited view within the darkness Kira felt this place could've been one of many places affected harder than others. A feeling of being watched followed her as she made it further into the forest that was more akin to a swamp. The strange calls of beasts native to this place could be heard periodically while further off the loud noise of bugs buzzing resounded.

Without stop Kira moved along the treetops avoiding most of the paths broken up by the unknown depths of murky water. Not once it seemed like she ran into tiny nests for smaller animals such as birds or squirrels. It caused her a bit of worry as she moved even deeper into this strange dark forest. The scent of death and decay became worse as it mixed with something most foul.

The sight of rotting walls brought a small amount of relief to Kira as she finally knew that her path through had been true. Since some unknown feeling nagged deep inside that she might have followed the wrong path and had gotten lost instead.

Getting closer to the wall from above four huts that were seemingly made from the twisted black trees were quickly decaying. Holes could be seen smattering the roof where puddles of water sat and finally broke through. The outside wasn't much better as large and small holes littered the wood. Fine white strands could be seen floating about and covering many trees further in and around the small clearing.

Standing on a sturdy gnarled branch Kira remained guarded as she began spreading out her awareness trying to focus on the Tear of Sorrow's energy. Time passed as perspiration slowly gathered before rolling down to soak the fur cloak she wore. Ignoring the discomfort she'd raised up a hand trying to extend her reach a bit further.

Not too much longer she dropped her hand feeling tired from overextending herself outward.

A strong wind blew carrying not the harsh scent of death, decay and other unpleasant odors as she had grown used to since entering this place but one of sugary sweetness and a blend of fruity scents. Showing no signs of suspicion about this abrupt change Kira opened her eyes and showed an eagerness that wasn't present during her search earlier.

Dropping down from the twisted black branch with a grace more akin to a cat than either a wolf or human could muster and began her search.

From the shadows a pair of dark eyes turned into crescents while showing a pleased expression. No living creature had yet been capable of resisting its incredible power. Though it held such an incredible power over those within its domain; treating all living things as mere puppets for its entertainment. It finally understood the limitations of it more corporal form that held no defined shape which became more apparent in these last four years.

Yet from this strange white wolf it sensed a familiar power pulsating just underneath the skin. It called out in an enticing manner that it had never felt before singing of the promise to become stronger. Whispers of freedom from this place drove it to abandon any reservation about it had of this strange wolf and simple take back what should have originally belonged to it.

Silently it lured the white wolf deeper within its domain while watching from the shadows.

Kira took a deep breathe trying hard to focus on where that sweet and alluring scent came from, holding back nothing her eyes dimmed becoming unable to properly see while her nose turned hypertensive. A faint smile crossed her lips as she fully caught the trail of that tantalizing source of sweets.

As the darkness that made up its domain it watched as the young wolf boldly stepped forward rather than shy away like others had previously. Excitement rushed through its core thinking of the new power it would gain and the possibility of expanding its domain even further.

Unable to properly see Kira didn't notice as the darkness that blanketed this strange place swirl around her before condensing into something almost tangible. Those dark eyes watching from the shadows though did and became excited at the sight. It had thought that this strange young wolf might be harder to deal with those that had once called this place home but instead found her quite stupid.