Arc One Ch. 39

The tall imposing figure of Leader Logan could be seen waiting at the main gates which had remained closed for the last few weeks. He seemed to go unbothered by the chill of the light rain which started around first light. It wouldn't be long before the cold of winter to set in and for the pack's food reserves would need to be replenished before then in these upcoming weeks though that wasn't looking likely from the reports he'd been hearing.

Time ticked on as men with sluggish steps and dark circles beneath their eyes began to gather, the once high spirits had been dampened over the long drawn out battles between them and the insects. Things didn't get better as the mutant primates of varying species that would unexpectedly ambush the smaller groups in an attempt to stop them that in many cases caused minor and sever injuries.

Once the whole team assembled Logan quickly went through briefing them on the current situation. Things weren't looking good as those amongst the night shifters now refused to leave the safety of the pack due to unseen traps that ended up killing multiple groups of scouts after following shadows in the trees.

Still their main focus was in dealing with the insects that were continuing to destroy the surrounding ecosystem. It would be harder to restore in the short term as the cold months would soon be upon them and since they knew nothing about these bugs but how much they ate. It was also dangerous going after the cowardly tree climbers since they kept to a distance and were hard to catch a hold of. Though three days ago he managed to track them back to their den and found three large apes who appeared to be the ones leading the smaller ones.

Those on watch also began reporting shadows on the walls and a few escaping over the tall walls. A few of them had been killed and found to revert back into a humanoid form much like their own but with a series of deformities that would account for the mutations seen on their bodies. Healer Zachary already took up investigating the dead in the hopes of understanding something about them.

For safety they were to team up and watch the other's back more so then on previous days. Demarcus gave a slight grumble after being forcefully paired up with Logan. It had turned into a conspiracy at this point as he ended on the losing end more often than not compared to others.

"All of you are fucking lousy bastards." Even though Demarcus wasn't loud about it was still heard by most who'd suffered through getting paired up with the younger male and showed no guilt in pushing this duty off onto him who seemed close to their group leader.

Following her usual routine Nora arrived around lunch right after another mommy and pup class. She'd learned quite a few things she was excited to experience when little Kaia grew a bit bigger. Such as the transition of liquid to solid foods, learning what kinds of food likes she had in common. Though it would be teaching her talking and walking that had her most excited and panicky at the same time.

With a covered tray in hand entering Kira's room with a smile, she found it hard not to when around little Kaia who was currently in a good mood. The little pup had started cooing almost as if she could speak. "Are you excited to see Aunty Kira, I am sure she will be just as happy to see you." Nora cooed while slowly taking the stairs.

When entering the room for the second time that day she found it still brightly lit and Kira still sitting there looking down at her hand thickly wrapped hands. There was an obviously lost expression on her face much like a small pup that had lost their way but she still refused to perceive others even now, it wasn't too worrying just yet but Nora still found herself praying for the Moon Goddess to help in Kira's recovery.

A smile naturally formed on Nora's face hiding the worry as she couldn't help but becoming a smiling gushing mess when little Kaia was around. Setting the tray down first she placed Kaia in Kira's arms as the other didn't seem to outright reject it before finding out what hid beneath the lid. She blinked at it finding their choices bold ones for a recovering elder pup. Never in her life had salads been anything other than prey food, no normal wolf would want to chow down on a full meal of leaves. Still it was a thing Kira had brought with her from the Stonemason pack and liked eating regularly. Between a bowl full of leaves and those poisonous looking potatoes she didn't hate the leaves as much and this one even held bits of meat in them.