Arc Ch. 13

Kira followed behind Edith much like a baby duckling as the two youngsters brought up the rear contently chewing on some jerky that came from another pack. The current festive atmosphere slightly confused Kira as it had only been the day before that a heavy tension could easily be felt throughout the pack.

"Don't you want some too big sister Kira?" Hana asked while holding her small hand up offering up some of her jerky.

"Thank you for the kind offer Hana but I've this..." She said while holding up the strange bumpy item in her hand that she'd been silently examining during their walk.

Hana scrunched up her little nose in disgust as she stuck out her tongue. "Those are yucky." The little girl declared showing her natural distaste for the object.

"Well that just means more for me then." She said giving a nonchalant shrug before placing the strange bumpy item back into the pouch at her side.

Walking along the festively decorated road Kira finally noticed something important that simply slipped her mind. Even as the weather turned windy and bitterly cold she hadn't noticed it in the slightest. Unlike many of the other pack members who wore thick layers under their festive garb she appeared out of place amongst their rounded forms.

Edith seemed to notice she wasn't keeping up properly and turned around and gave her a look of knowing. "Are you feeling cold now Kira?" She asked slowing her own steps slightly.

Kira wanted to say no she felt just fine but seeing others with more than one layer on made her feel slightly self-conscious as she didn't want to purposely stand out. "Just a little I didn't think today would be so windy." To which Edith gave a nod of understanding.

"Here take this I brought it along just in case you might get cold." She said taking off a simple wrap from her shoulders.

"Thank you..." Kira blushed and took the offered layer of protection before showing a face full of content.

Edith nodded seeming happier as well. "Let's hurry along so as not to keep Big brother Tobias and Theodore waiting." Both Jun and Hana nodded putting their snacks away and closed the small gap that had begun to widen a bit while snacking.

As their small group got closer to the main square Kira was the first to spot the brothers at the entrance though their appearances changed a bit. Making the expressions of both easier to see, Theodore wore a smug smile while Tobias seemed displeased by something.

"Awe, come on brother it's not that bad." Theodore said while trying to hold back a laugh.

Tobias gave his younger brother a hard look before baring his teeth showing how upset he was at the moment. "Go ahead and laugh it up but you won't be laughing when Gran gives you the same orders." He spoke in a low tone but his words didn't quite match the fieriness of his gaze.

Kira caught the end of their conversation and only vaguely knew about the circumstances which surrounded this elder cousin. Not all mates who found each other ended like it did in a fairytale, Tobias had been one of the rare few to find his mate without too much trouble. Only things he'd no control over broke them apart before they could even get to properly know each other.

It had already been a few years since then and Tobias had thrown his all into working within the mines, the one place where very few females could be found. Their grandmother had tried hard to find him a suitable match but was greatly displeased when learning about the full situation so she gave Tobias little choice in the matter.

Kira noticed that Edith had slowed down and was looking around a bit confused before leading their group over to join Tobias and Theodore.

From a short distance away Kira watched as the siblings affectionately greeted one another. She continued to looking around taking in the festive decorations and the gathering crowd that held a tangible excitement about them. A few cheers could be heard off in the distance while savory scents of cooked meat lingered in the air.

Through the crowd a young red headed woman in light grey furs came towards their group with a strong scent of excitement. Following behind her was a young man with the same red hair and golden eyes; in his arms he carried a few pouches appearing slightly defeated.

Edith also finally noticed the young red head when she abruptly grabbed onto Tobias and clung onto his arm while smiling. "Hello there I am Emily Brook and this is my brother Rylan Brook." She greeted in an assertive way that irritated the three youths, Kira ignored them and continued scanning the crowed market square.

Tobias noticed the questioning look that Edith shot him while Theodore simply smiled finding the whole thing a bit funny as the usually collected elder brother wasn't quite himself today.

Tobias looked like he wanted to say something but simply shut his mouth as if thinking better of it. "She is the match Grandmother has decided on for me so please be kind and welcoming." He said giving each of his siblings a hard look.

Jun and Hana nodded while Edith didn't seem happy though she still gave a nod and smile. Kira felt Tobias staring at her and she followed rest in giving a smile and welcoming the pair.

She tried to continue observing the crowd yet found it hard as Emily moved about them like a bumblebee in a patch of flowers. "I have heard so much about you all so I have a gift for each of you." She began as Rylan followed behind her while handing a pouch over each time she had made a gesture.

"Gran has spoken very highly of you little Hana and so I thought you might enjoy this..." A small pouch was handed over to the young girl who didn't waste much time in opening it up. Inside a lovely writing set could be found making the small round face light up at the sight. She always eyed her grandmother's set.

The next pouch was much larger and seemed quite heavy as she carefully held it with both hands. "Jun I've heard you are quite the skilled warrior it's a small gift but I hope you find it a good one." She said before gently handing the pouch over to him.

Curious about the item he too didn't wait long in opening the pouch. At first Jun couldn't tell what she had gifted him until lifting it up and examining it. "Are you sure?" He asked not at all sure he should be accepting such a treasure. Metal work items were rare and hard to come by let alone well-crafted items made by a master.

Emily smiled brightly happy to see that the boy obviously like the gift she had chosen. "I am happy you like them so please use them well in the future." Jun held the metal claws close to his chest while giving an affirmative nod.

The next pouch was a bit different from the first two as this one was meant to safely store medical herbs. Emily gave a warm smile to Edith who could be considered the hardest of the five siblings to get along with though considered very sweet once she warmed up to you. "Gran has told me that you are a budding healer with great talent. I had a hard time deciding on what to gift you so I went and spoke with my own pack's healer and learned you might like these."

Edith took the pouch she gifted and opened it up finding that there were many herbs that were had to get ahold of carefully packed within. Blushing she looked up at the friendly young woman who seemed to truly wish to get along with them.

Theodore stared at the girl their grandmother had picked out for Tobias and wondered what she would gift him. Her previous gifts were well thought and suited to each of them so far. Emily grinned while handing over the next pouch which Theodore thanked her for before opening it, a chuckle left him as he patted his brother on the back and wishing him well.