Arc One Ch. 8

Sitting within a simple but messy office was a man in his forties who was looking over more than a few dozen ledgers. A hand had been run through the grey strands of tightly bound blond hair making it stick out in odd random angles. He let out a sigh when hearing a commotion from just outside his door.

His annoyance by this interruption could clearly be heard within his voice while calling out for the other party to enter. All of the ledgers had been shut by this point as the man trained his cold sharp gaze on the entrance where a lowly messenger came in still short of breath looking flustered.

In a spilt second the messenger became further out of sorts seeing that the alpha's gaze had been directed to him. Dropping his head he internally cried out the woes within his heart at being the one sent to give this news. Simply speaking the title of alpha left him feeling like this wasn't a job suited for him. "A-l-alpha reporting news of the border patrol, during a shift-change more than ten Gloomy Wood pack members were found on Stonemason territory." He said in a swift and concise manner so he could escape from underneath the Alpha's scrutinizing stare.

"Is there anything else to report or is that all?" He asked the youth who was obviously new.

Blushing at having forgotten half the report the youth coughed and continued. "During the capture several Gloomy Wood pack members sustained several minor injuries. Though it seems several of the guards have sustained even more serious injuries and are being treated for poison by the pack healers. Various blades covered in poison were found on them and taken away."

After finding out how long he had until the guards arrived he promptly dismissed the messenger who held a relived expression on his face while escaping the suffocating room.

Alone once again Alpha Grant took up his seat and sighed while thoughts on how he was to now handle this messy situation since so many would no doubt be clamoring for bloodshed over this incident. Not only that but due to numerous oppositional stances he had taken with the older pack members over the new pack policies left him in a vulnerable spot if this situation wasn't handle properly.

Casting a sidelong glance at a dark corner he found himself balling up his fist. Hanging just out of sight was a simple charcoal portrait of a man with a groomed beard and a hard set gaze that made those who viewed it uncomfortable.

Standing up the alpha took a deep breath and released it helping to calm his currently turbulent emotional state. Walking out of his office the ever smiling wolf greeted him; unknowingly he let the tension in his body relax when seeing her. "Granny Hanae..." He started but stopped when she held up a hand when seeing the look on his face.

"Alpha Grant we will speak later for now let us talk about the current situation." Her words came out harsh but the alpha nodded have long grown accustom to her personality. "From the news I received it seem those of the Gloomy Wood pack take us for bleeding hearts that they can step all over. Have you had enough time to consider your course of action Alpha?" She asked with a neutral expression though it was clear her current feelings were anything but from the tone that she'd taken.

Due to the long and arbitrary history between the two packs seeing Hanae who had encouraged him on a path of peace with the Gloomy Wood pack didn't seem surprised by the change in her attitude. Even after two separate alphas reigns where they warred against them she stilled held onto the idea of there being peace between the two packs. He didn't wish to continue down this long well-traveled road yet didn't see any other option but to do as his father wanted before he had taken his life.

"It seems that father was right about me, a pup too young and foolish holding onto the dream of accomplishing what those before me could not."

Hanae closed her eyes feeling a deep regret for spurring her great-nephew onto this historically proven path. "No Grant it was this old lady who was too foolhardy believing one of those young bitches could be trusted after such a short respite and that the pair of you could bring about a new era of peace with those bastards that are true backstabbing black hearts through and through." She said in a much softer voice causing Grant to feel a tug at his heartstrings.

He opened his mouth briefly wanting to speak up for the woman but seeing the expression on his great-aunt's face the word died within his throat, awkwardly opening and closing his mouth before finally settled on. "This talk won't solve our current problem; let us continue on Granny Hanae."

While Alpha Grant and the Head Elder Hanae went to speak with the rest of the council, elsewhere a crowd had already began to gather in White Mist square for the public trial.

Kurou clenched and unclenched his hand, he was irritated by the fact that no news of Kira had come while escorting ten unwilling members of the Gloomy Wood pack. Right now he could care less about such pack politics at this moment when his youngest sister's only child was for the moment considered missing. If too long went by the likelihood of her being alive and well dropped significantly making him antsy just standing there waiting while doing nothing.

The crowd had been talking in hushed whispers about what would happen once the Alpha made his appearance. Many older pack members were convinced that at this point no matter what the Gloomy Wood pack did their alpha would do nothing about it. Others where more optimistic in their views about this leading to something big happening while most thought that it would end with little more than a slap on the wrist for these ten offenders.

Hushed tones came to an end when seeing not just Alpha Grant's tall and imposing figure but all of the elder council as well. The women who made up a majority of this group wore a neutral expression on their face giving little away in to the matter of their current thoughts as it was a well-known fact that neither side seen eye to eye most things. Making this rare moment where they did get to see them working together made the scene all that more impactful to witness.

Without giving even a glance to those of his own pack a gentle and carefree smile appeared on Alpha Grant's usually frosty and expressionless face.

Most found them-selves captivated by this sight they'd only heard tales about, face with such a warm and handsome face that actually belonged to their alpha left many stunned. While it was only the older pack members who were left shivering out of fear not knowing what intentions lay behind Alpha Grant's strange behavior. As for the youths from the Gloomy Wood pack none could resist such a natural and charming smile directed at them, both their futile struggling and the hatful curses they were spewing came to an abrupt end.