Arc One Ch. 22

Alpha Grant frowned while watching the Little Moon enter the testing area feeling no happier about the whole situation even after having a proper sit down discussion with his aunt Hanae. There was nothing he could say that would change her decision about testing the girl before allowing her to freely participate in the exchange program.

"Won't you reconsider once more Aunt Hanae?"

The elderly woman glanced over at her nephew with a hard expression. "That girl had enough guts to go behind my back, she was cocky enough to bring up me testing her, and so my dear nephew the answer is still no." She said carefully watching Kira move about the deadly area.

Lightly dropping down into the main testing area Kira didn't notice the vibrant green of the plants or bright colorful flowers which were even large than some adult wolves nor the low alluring sounds made by something far off in the distance. Instead she was overcome by an overpowering sense of fear deeply ingrained into her instincts. Catching a slight sound from below her feet she rolled to the side narrowly dodging a pair of long limbs aimed at her feet.

From a short distance away she watched as a large grey spider covered in thick hair retreated back beneath the ground as it cover the hole with its camouflaged trap door. Not wanting to waste a beat Kira quickly gets back to her feet and head right into the forest of trees. This test has three main objectives the first and most dangerous part is making it to the center where a small lake can be found. The second is finding edible rations and collecting enough to last for two days. While the final and most perplexing one is not getting hurt and how her grandmother will judge this one. Would a simple scratched knee be enough to void completing the first two objectives perfectly? 

A few steps more and she reaches the trees, her hand comes up as a molted brown snake that she nearly mistook for a branch springs forward. A blade that hadn't been there slices through the tough leather of its skin removing the head from the body. She takes enough time to impale its head before retrieving the body with the thought food is food. Glancing around there were clean bones, after the rebirth of this planet more symbiotic relationships had formed. Glancing around cautiously trying to sense if there were any nearby unseen dangers lurking around, a second snake came lunging at her from above. Dodging the snake she continued inward more mindful of the snakes that only moved when an opportunity presented itself. The scattered roots and masses of vines made her steps slow even further as more bones from dead animals started appearing. With her attention drawn up above Kira failed to notice as the roots and vines began to move causing her to trip before tightly ensnaring itself around one of her ankles and falling to her hands and knees, quickly pushed herself up to avoid the same thing happening with her wrists. 

With a flick of the wrist the vines wrapped around her ankle were cut loose as she stood looking in the direction it pulled her towards when it tripped her up. A large bloody red flower that gave off a particular smell stood near the base of a squat round tree with short branches covered in a small bristly red leaf. Recognizing it as a man-eating plant attached to a tree that survived off of blood.

Tossing the bloodied snake bodies she'd collected since entering the tree line right near the two plants before climbing up into a tall tree nearby she knew to be safe.

From branch to branch Kira moved at a steady rhythm while stretching out her senses for both danger and food though the frequency of smaller game became hard to spot as she got closer to the center. Plants were also near impossible to collect as food since most were either highly toxic or were unpleasant tasting, many of these man-eating plants could be eaten if cooked at a high enough temperature though it wasn't considered a viable food option by most since the scent given off when cooked attracted all manner of beast to the cooking sight.

Humming at the thought she had discarded simply because of how things were usually done by the pack and stopped. Searching around the area for another large flower that all seemed to be perfectly spaced from one another. A massive tangle of vines and bones littering the area could be seen through the branches not too far ahead. Slipping easily from one branch to the next in a fluid motion and found the flower. The hard protective outer layer of the plant though had been thoroughly broken apart while its soft fleshy innards were completely stripped away. Not at all discouraged by this set back Kira reached into the center looking for its core hoping that the evolved plant-eater hadn't eaten it as well.

Tucking away the large seed like object into her bag Kira continued on while looking for things she could burn.

Arriving at the central lake in time with a bundle of tinder and other more flammable liquids in hand Kira began building a small fire. Satisfied with the slowly growing flames only then did she take out the large seed containing the man-eating plant's heart and dug it carefully out of the pouch where she had collected the flammable liquids before tossing the object into the center of the flames. For a brief moment Kira watched as the fire grew tall before shrinking back down.

With the water she needed collected and put away Kira waited patiently for the outer layer of the shell to be completely scorched before dousing the fire and breaking it open. Through the cracks steam poured out with a rich meaty smell that nearly caused her to forget herself and what she was doing.

The forest that had once felt barren of animals suddenly became livelier as loud calls came from every direction.

Head Elder Hanae stood beside Alpha Grant as the remaining time limit finally came to an end.

"She didn't make it." The old woman simply stated without an inflection in her tone for Grant to tell if she was happy or not.

"Didn't you give her until the sun fully sets?" He asked which got him a dirty look.

She pointed to the tree line where the girl would most likely come from and explained. "Most come out from there, since she hasn't made to that rock by now it's impossible to climb out in time."

"What if she decided on a different route out of the arena?" He asked more now wanting to get a bit of a rise out of her.

Hanae rolled her eyes at him. "There are clearly scented markers that are there to help lead them out and most have followed that particular path because it's not only the shortest but safest." This was something he didn't know since his own Rite of Passage was held elsewhere due to certain issues while a committee took care of its upkeep and management making him a bit uninformed.

Grant peered around the lower edges feeling that Kira would give them a surprise since she wasn't one that stuck solely to tradition. He might not personally interact with her very often though others who had usually spoke highly of her skills just not how she went about using them at times.

"Aunt Hanae did you mention any of that to Kira?" He only asked her because she acted like it was well known knowledge but he didn't know so it's not impossible the little girl didn't know either.

She seemed out right offended by this question. "Of course not any wolf with a nose would be able to pick up the trail."

"It seems she doesn't have a very good nose then." He muttered having found a small figure climbing up out of the arena.

Hanae glanced over at him with a hard glare. "What are you implying by that Alpha Grant, Kira has a great nose rather too sharp actual for a pup." The pride in her voice was hard to miss.

"Well if Kira did find the path with ease as you're implying she can I don't think she found it too helpful."

Not too long after that Kira arrived covered in blood, her usually well kempt hair in disarray and speckled with red, while a bright smile showed on her gory smeared face.