Arc One Ch. 24

Escaping through the trees a small figure covered in mud move swiftly as a dozen or so men where in hot pursuit of her trail. Their twisted ashen grey faces were twisted up in anger while throwing out insults as the distance between them became greater. The energy that once filled them with strength was no longer present causing them to rapidly fall behind the small figure that disappeared from their sight.

From above the sunlight that couldn't seem to pierce through the veil covering the land before now weak warmth could be felt coming from above.

Doubling back the small figure moved with sure and swift footing found the large tree she had just cleansed of its corrupt power. Through the haze that still clung to this place another tree as tall if not taller stood across a chasm covered in a tangle of thick roots. The darkness clinging to this place made the stench of death that hung over the Gloomy Wood forest come off as a light spring breeze in comparison.

Glancing in each direction the small figure quickly made up her mind on the quickest way to the other side. Following a thick root that was wider than her foot she began crossing before those broken puppets came back.

Keeping more towards the outer area where the roots were more firmly in place it didn't stop the sweat from accumulating as she tried not to think about gravity and how the pit below felt like it was trying to pull her down in. Nothing but her own labored breathing could be heard almost as if the world had become muffled in this strange pit. Showing no signs that she understood what was happening the small figure sped up her movements and revealed slight openings were there hadn't been any prior.

Half a day passed before the figure nearly reached the other tree, relief at the sight of its imposing majesty didn't last long as ashen skinned men in tattered furs and skins could be seen surrounding the trunk.

As if already suspecting this move the figure smiled as the corrupt tree's army suddenly fell limply to the ground. Straightening herself out the small figure lifted a hand while blocking a barrage of roots. She easily noticed that these roots weren't entangled with the other tree's roots, it'd only been a hunch but the tree really did wait for her to get closer before attacking so as not to uproot the other even after it lost the corrupt power that animated.

Each attack grew slightly stronger as a malevolent spirit came out from the tree where it had been hiding all this time when she got too close. Silently scoffing at its fail attempt at scaring her using an earsplitting shriek, ears bleeding she continued to move forward.

"You can join your other half in the afterlife." She said while making a few complex hand movements, a small brilliant light formed in the center a strong suction force could be felt.

Sensing the danger that came from the strange light the malevolent spirit screamed louder trying to wake its fallen minions but fail. Seeing its efforts wasted the spirit manipulated the roots of its tree and effortlessly took command of their bodies.

The small figure continued steadily forward unconcerned by the last ditch efforts made by the spirit. Clear eyes watched as each ashen skinned wolf perished underneath the cleansing light, one by one their outstretched fingers turned to dust.

No sound followed their demise though the malevolent spirit screamed out frustration at failing to deal even a single blow to the one who killed its other half.

Lifting up her hands the small mud covered figure held up the light within her hands pulling the shrieking human shaped shade down. At first the malevolent spirit tried resisting, it could sense that death was near. Still having not gotten its revenge the spirit used that powerful pull to try one last attack.

Letting go of the small light she sent it upwards to meet the shade who could only cry out in resentment at failing.

Catching the glowing orb a faint smile spread across her dirty face. The guardian now trapped and being refined inside the prison made of light she moved swiftly over to the trunk of the tree.

Covering her hand in light she reached out to touch the trunk feeling all of the negative energy it had first absorbed before it began feeding on it. Even without it's guardian to protect it from harm the energy tried overwhelming her mind trying to take the three Tears of Sorrow she now carried within her.

Exhaustion lined her mud covered face; it'd taken two days for her to properly subdue the massive amounts of negative energy collected by the tree before she could even think of purifying it. The long process left her feeling drained and in need of a bath instead settling for stretching out on the ground for a short rest.

After resting she got up to investigate the area around the tree as she had the first one. Crudely made cages could be spotted from a distance that didn't differ much from the first. Getting closer the tortured and bloodied scene of large and small creatures didn't appear as expected in its place was something more chilling, a dozen or so young women of varying ages could be seen huddled together covered in filth looking starved with an empty vacant look in their eye.

Physically free the group did nothing, but she couldn't leave these young women here alone nor could she take them with her. There was one thing she could do that might bring them back first they needed out of this particular area for it to properly work.

Moving to the pouch at her waist she took out a small green pill with a refreshing scent, she ate one first showing those that might understand and resist that it was harmful. So one by one she moved amongst them tethering them together while feeding them a pill she had specially made for this journey. Many of them she was met with their tears as if asking her why she would do such a horrible thing as trying to save them from death.

The journey had been a long and arduous one with a dozen so young woman that seen death as their only course to peace. Yet the small mud covered figure somehow managed to bring them all safely out of the area that was no longer gripped in a veil of black haze. While each night just before the young women went to sleep she would use the fragmented power of the Tear of Sorrow, to suppress the memories into vague nightmare. Once free of this Forbidden Forest the fake memory she implanted would help to truly turn false into truth while burying the reality of the situation.

Underneath a short yet ancient tree sat Kira clean and wrapped up in a light cloth outfit made from a durable plant fiber. Sweat rolled down her bright red face while her body slowly began adjusting to the desert heat.

A small figure covered in dirt arrived before the elder pup appearing fatigued but otherwise in alright shape. Kira opened her eyes revealing a doll like vacant stare, with a mechanical motion she lifted up her head to take the newcomer in with a blank expression.

"You did very well." The small figure said before touching Kira's forehead causing the girl to vanish.

Removing one of the many disguises won by System-One and heaved a sigh, Kira thought about the memories her double collected. Three young wolves had lost their lives during a sudden and unexpected ambush by three different carnivorous plants that had gone undetected by the ones that patrolled that particular stretch of clear path. Two guards also lost their lives during a sudden night raid by some zealots looking for the Moon Goddess's words about some grand master plan that couldn't be found in the world history she had perused after first arriving in this world.

Once properly redressed as her double, Kira turned her attention to the short ancient tree that gave off a faint power belonging to a Tear of Sorrow fragment. A sudden realization was made while coaxing the fifth fragment from its slumbering state. Each fragment held two very similar conditions the first was being found in ancient trees that were old even before the collapse of humanity, while the second might go unnoticed if placed as some misfortune or test from the Moon Goddess were sorrows. The sorrows could be big or small depending on each fragments state and level of corruption.

Stonemason suffered countless problems from cave-ins though with better understanding and planning these had lessened over the years though it was steep price they paid. Gloom Wood had been plagued in not only darkness and nightmares but seeped in paranoia. That'd caused the previous downfall of the Stonemason pack. While the third and fourth showed how bad it could get when the pieces were active. Kira had wanted to do more for the woman that lost their limbs after some turned cannibal, eating their cellmates to survive longer. Only this world was too low leveled to repair the damage fully, she could only help with the infections to ensure the wounds healing process went smoothly.