Arc One Ch. 26

The small pack of Blue Valley youths arrived before a high perimeter wall covered with deep gashes and claw marks from previous attacks. Atop the discolored expanse a series of skulls were lined up above two skeletons that had been pinned to the wall and picked clean by the insects which left only a few tuff of hair behind. Uneasiness ran through the small group seeing such a cold reception to their presence, their own pack giving others a bit of a rough time but never so threatening.

Marcus paid the bleached bones and thick scent of blood no mind as his nose picked up on a certain scent. Since entering the pine forest he would catch an ever so faint scent that tickled at his senses. His eyes weren't focused on the young female wolves who'd come to greet them or the larger disproportionate number of males that remained in the pack who were protectively hovering over the girls. He half attentively listened to Wayne their guide and caretaker who'd been talking about the pack rules they'd need to follow and how things worked on a day to day bases.

Kira stood nearby holding a basket she was going to be dropping off but came to a stop when recognizing Marcus amongst other familiar face of the Blue Valley pack members. Small events might have shifted with a bit of effort yet some couldn't be deterred. Unlike the original Kira's memories though Marcus wasn't exuding a calm and confidence attitude instead he appeared more preoccupied and withdrawn. Even without the bolstering he still managed to stand out in the small crowd who were all slightly shorter than him. His light brown hair and pleasant face that made him a prime target of quite a few young she wolves that were uninterested in the males of the Pine Wood pack.

Her eyes didn't linger though if not for a sudden and unexpected side task she wouldn't have paid him any mind at all when carrying out her main objective.

Paying the newcomers no further attention Kira continued on towards a smaller cottage. Nora had been a sweetheart when she'd first arrived in the pack. With a light knock she stepped into the clean yet plain interior. A slightly older female greeted her from a chair near a window as her hands continued to move in a well-practiced motion. "Kira you came I would get up but the doc and his orders...anyway why do you have a seat and tell me about the new exchanges."

Kira took a seat with a smile placing the basket on her lap as she told Nora about what little she had seen. "May the Moon Goddess show you the light Kira I have never heard anyone sound so uninterested in the pack exchange." To this she shrugged more interested in following the leads she'd picked up about the deaths of Karin and Edwin but she couldn't tell her this so she made up something. "That is...I am not looking for someone..." She trailed off blushing twisting around her fingers.

Nora gave a knowing look towards her as if understanding, since she'd also shown up in a pack exchange. "...so anyway how are the blankets coming along?" Kira asked trying to change the topic.

The older girl smiled and allowed her to keep the obvious crush she had a secret still. "It's going along better than expected this material you gave is perfect for baby blankets, the others I have made were well received and now I can't help but make a personal one." Her features turned a bit softer as an obvious happiness towards her unborn child could be seen.

"Well I brought along with me a few snacks if you want to take a short break." She said while pulling out a few small cookies. Seeing these Nora finally stopped her hands and placed her current work down and picked one up inspecting it, from sight the simple little thing didn't appear that way to her while the scent that it gave off had her mouthwatering. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the taste before waiting on the unsettling feeling she usually got after eating lately.

Kira said her goodbyes to Nora who'd gone back to carefully stitching her own baby blanket.

Marcus watched from the side as his good friend Aaron took on a slightly older wolf in the ring. At first only a few others from their group had been watching the fight, while the two of them were still feeling each other out with a few light attacks. Someone from the Pine Wood pack noticed their area and began gathering others to watch as well. Now there were shouts from both sides cheering them on.

Using a series of quick light hits Aaron forcefully disrupted his opponent's current rhythm. He was just about to being his comeback victory when a delicate looking hand caught his own, a few who didn't know her sourly grumbled at her sudden interruption. "Where is the overseer for this match?" The tone was icy while her voice was pleasant to the ears.

"Kira its fine I can handle this myself." The winded male wolf complained while holding his chest.

Her frosted gaze turned on him. "You call the current condition of your body fine? I will take you to see the pack healer at once. As for those coming from the Blue Valley pack, please remember to follow all rules given to you for not only your safety but ours as well." With that said she had forcefully grabbed the injured male by the wrist and dragged him away.

Getting closer to the place of healing the male wolf Demarcus tried pulling out of her grasp and he did much to Kira's annoyance. "Kira I am fine, those light taps of his are nothing more than a small bug bite." He said patting his chest that still hurt.

"Demarcus have I ever given you the wrong advice before?" She asked him with a softer gaze that had him wanting to whine how unfair she was being.

He gritted his teeth unable to lie since she'd never steered him in the wrong direction. "No you have not but I am seriously feeling fine." He continued to be stubborn about going through with an examination.

Kira rolled her eyes. "Stop being a pup, the healer is a nice wolf." His brown eyes gave her an accusatory stare. "That bastard isn't a nice wolf he..." The rant came to an abrupt end as the Healer came from the base of a giant old tree. "...isn't just a healer he is the greatest healer around." Demarcus finished lamely too afraid to continue trying to badmouth their illustrious pack healer.

"I see you've brought me a new patient Kira." He said lightly while inspecting Demarcus for a moment seeing nothing visibly wrong yet the nosey elder pup never brought nothing to his attention.

Demarcus reluctantly follows the pack healer towards the massive roots where an entrance can be seen. When first entering the small sitting area he knew as a child hadn't changed much as the young male assistant behind a small counter could be seen going over different herbs. He didn't get a good look at the assistant as he was quickly ushered into one of three rooms.

After being examined by the healer Demarcus hissed in pain as the man swiftly tapped the same areas the other wolf had during their fight only they weren't as soft. "That should take care of it and you might want to avoid taking such hits in the future. If you see anyone else who does take those kinds of hits please stop the fighting immediately it can be deadly." The usually carefree tone the pack healer liked to used was gone replaced by one more far more serious than he was used to hearing.

Demarcus touched his chest where three dark spots had appeared. "What do you mean by that Healer Zachary?" He asked now filled with uncertainty.

Zachary gave the young wolf a once over as if not believing he managed to make it this far in life. "A soft hit creates a blood clot from there being hit by a heavier hit near the same spot can loosen the clots and lead to possible death if not handled in a swift manner."

"Blood clot?" The younger man parroted back.

"It's one of the few conditions a wolf's constitution can't properly handle on its own. So from now on please be alert to others suffering such wounds in the future and have them come to me immediately."

Demarcus nodded a bit dumbly but could at least understand the seriousness of the word