Chapter 17: Tension

Shu's perspective

"Mmph..."

My eyes were so closed when I heard a soft gasp in my right ear. Still sleepy, I opened one eye to peek at the source of the pleasant sound.

Ren, who had been an interesting spectacle the night before, was sleeping half on top of me with her arms around my neck as she sleepily sighed. I blinked, nudging her slightly in attempt to free myself from her weight as she gripped me tighter.

I furrowed my brow, wondering what to do in this situation. She usually kept her distance from me while we slept despite sharing a bed for as long as we have. As usual, she seems to drop her guard under particular circumstances.

I glanced down at her, placing my hand on her head to pet her soft hair. A smile crept onto my lips and I stifled a small laugh. Since when did being like this start feeling so comfortable?

Before I had the chance to ponder the thought further, a knock on the door came suddenly.

I pried myself from Ren's grasp before opening the door with a dull expression.

Reiji. Ugh. This could only mean one thing.

"Shu," he stated, "A familiar arrived this morning with a message from father."

"What does he want now?" I scratched my head agitatedly before noticing Reiji's eyes were looking past me at Ren who was still sleeping like the dead.

"It's improper to let a woman stay in your room as if she's some sort of house pet. You should really do something about that," he began to lecture before sighing, "Shu...about the message. You've been summoned. You will have to spend some time in the demon world. Probably about a week at most. What will you do?"

"What will I do?" I repeated in a condescending tone, "If I've been summoned, then I have no choice in the matter. He will probably have me doing more useless tasks for him."

Reiji pushed up his glasses before grunting, "I mean what will do about her?"

"Eh?" I asked before glancing back at Ren, "She can do whatever she wants. It doesn't matter to me."

Reiji sighed heavily, "I can't understand how someone as dense as you is somehow supposed to take over as head of this family when you can't even be responsible for one person. She is your guest."

"Oi, shut up," I growled lowly at his lingering before snapping, "I'll take care of it. When do I have to leave?"

"The message says tonight," he answered briefly before excusing himself wryly.

"Tch," I clicked my tongue in disappointment over how little time I was given notice. It was already past one in the afternoon. Sighing, I turned around and walked over to the bed and sat down.

"Oi, wake up," I said somewhat quietly so as not to alarm her. Her hazel eyes fluttered open and zeroed in on mine hazily.

"Shu..." she muttered happily before she blinked a couple more times to wake herself up.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" I asked curiously. She blinked and murmured, "Not really...was it bad?"

"That's an understatement. I highly recommend you never ever drink again in your life time," I advised with a light chuckle. She exhaled before turning her back towards me and attempting to sleep.

"Hey, we need to talk," I whispered while nudging her. She rolled over and sighed before squinting and sitting up curiously.

"I have to leave for a while. Maybe a few days," I began to say lowly, "What will you do in the mean time?"