Chapter 21: A Dark New Place

Ren arrived at the Sakamaki mansion around five in the morning. Dressed in her bright red scarf and an all black attire with a leather jacket, she headed toward the building. The gravel crunched beneath her feet for the first time in a while since her cast was removed and she was able to finally walk normal again. Feeling somewhat nervous, she approached the large doorway and knocked. The door creaked loudly as it opened, revealing Reiji standing there with a perturbed expression.

"What brings you here at this hour?" he asked suspiciously. Ren shrugged and muttered, "Shu and I made plans."

His eyebrows raised as a playful grin spread across his face. Opening the door, he lets Ren come inside before commenting, "I find it rather interesting that someone of your stature seems to find solace in the company of vampires."

Ren chuckled awkwardly before responding, "I guess I can thank Shu for that. I really couldn't enjoy being around anybody before meeting him."

Reiji wore a pinched expression at hearing her sappy reply but withheld himself from a biting comment. Instead, he said, "I should be just be glad that Shu found himself such an ideal young woman to spend his time with."

"If you like her so much, Reiji, do you want me to give her to you?" Shu's voice suddenly appeared from behind Ren as she stood in the main hall. His voice startled both her and Reiji as Reiji snapped, "Shu! Why must you always appear in a room without announcing yourself? It's also incredibly rude to keep your guest waiting."

"My bad," he muttered boredly as he placed a hand on Ren's shoulder, "Did he bore you to death? I won't subject you to that again."

Ren laughed before bowing to Reiji in apology for Shu's tone. Shu's eyebrow twitched at that as he told Reiji, "We are going to the demon world today. We should be back by late tonight but if not, I need you to do something for me."

"Hah? You insult me and then ask me for a favor?" Reiji scoffs, before shaking his head in disbelief.

Shu ignores him before stating, "I want you to visit Ren's family and present them this. If we don't return right away, I want you to give it to them. Okay?" before handing Reiji a sealed envelope.

Reiji stared at the letter blankly before taking it and muttered, "What are you up to?"

Meanwhile, Ren stood by idly with a confused expression wondering what the letter said and what exactly would prevent them from coming back in time.

Shu ran his hand roughly through her hair and smiled sneakily before saying, "It's a secret. Don't worry about it."

Reiji groaned at Shu's lack of explanation before grunting out, "Fine. I'll do as you wish. Just be very careful while traversing the demon realm. It can seem very intense to humans if they're not prepared."

"Will do," Shu states with finality as he nudges Ren to follow him. He leads her down some stairs that take them to an underground tunnel.

"What was that all about?" Ren asked the moment she and Shu were alone, "What would prevent us from coming back?"

"Don't think too much about it. As long as you're with me, everything is fine," he shrugged as if it was no big deal, "If you're really good, I'll tell you later."

Ren sighed and wondered to herself just what she had gotten herself into. Just then they approached a large door. Shu nodded to her and explained, "This is how we get into the demon world."

"It's just a door?" Ren exclaimed, somewhat disappointed by the anticlimatic entrance.

"Just a door? What were you expecting?" Shu groaned while scratching his head.