Chapter 24: Conflict of Interest

The next day~~

"Are you finally ready to go now?" Shu groaned as Ren rushed outside with her small backpack on her shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," she snapped impatiently as she combed a hand through her still damp hair from the shower she hurriedly took. They had overslept a few hours and now had to speed up their hike home.

Shu turned and began walking as Ren followed behind. Looking behind her, she took one last peak at the house they stayed at, the memories that were made the past couple days flowing back into her mind. She inhaled anxiously as she turned around to see Shu's tall frame walking ahead.

The two exchanged mild conversation about the demon world as they hiked the rough terrain. After a good while of walking, the exit to the demon world came into view.

"Ugh, my hips are sore," Shu complains as they reach the door to the underground tunnel, "This is your fault, you know."

Ren rolls her eyes before stating, "Well, no one necessarily told you do all those things yesterday so you only have yourself to blame."

He scowls before muttering, "Don't act like you didn't enjoy it."

Ren bit her lip in silent frustration at the statement as they entered the tunnel and made their way towards the light at the end.

As they stepped outside, they realized it was light outside and immediately covered their eyes from the sudden brightness.

Walking inside from the back door the mansion, they walked through the hallway until they were in the main entrance hall, where they found Laito sitting on the staircase, grinning suspiciously.

Shu furrowed his brow at the sight before asking, "What is it?"

Laito chuckled cutely before suddenly appearing behind Ren and sniffing the air around her.

"Something smells different about this one," a deceptively sharp expression appeared on his face before he asked with a smirk, "Did you two have a lovely romantic weekend together?"

"Shut up," Shu groaned, rolling his eyes at his younger brothers cunning perception.

Meanwhile, Ren bit her lip nervously, suddenly remembering that vampires have a heightened sense of smell. It wasn't surprising that they could tell the difference of whether somebody was a virgin or not. She hadn't thought about that at all until now and blushed internally at Laito pointing it out.

"Fufu~, Ren-chan, your blood smells sweeter now. Can I have a taste?" He teased baring his fangs close to Rens ear.

"Laito, knock it off. Can't you see she's been marked as my possession now?" Shu smirked as he glanced towards Rens chest, which had a deep scar from Shu's repeated bites through out the weekend.

"Aw that's no fun," Laito pouted before commenting, "Shu can be so cruel, don't you think? Leaving marks all over your skin so all can see. If you ever want to feel really good, you could always come to my side."

"Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Shu is good enough for me," Ren politely declined. Laito laughed somewhat cynically in response before muttering, "Such a serious girl."

"Shu must feel pretty lucky right now," he continued as he patted Ren on the head.

Shu blinked, uninterested in Laito's banter as he grabbed Ren by the hand and pulled her outside through the front door and shut it behind him so they were alone.

"Ugh, that Laito always says too much," he groaned and scratched his head. Ren chuckled before mumbling, "I guess I have to go home now."

"I'll see you later," Shu replied, surprising Ren as he wore a uncharacteristically humble smile.