Chapter 18: Resolve

Hey guys, so I'm sharing this video here because while writing this chapter, I was incredibly influenced by this girl's beautiful singing voice and have decided that this is the perfect depiction of how I want Ren's singing voice to sound like.  Even better that it's in Japanese. There's a part in this chapter where Ren is singing so I thought I'd include this because I honestly imagined her singing this while writing it. Please check out Erutan's other videos. She's a very gifted musician. Without any further ado, here's a nice long chapter to thank everyone for getting this story past 2000 views!

Shu's Perspective

"You seem frustrated despite working so hard this week. Were you perhaps trying to finish quickly?" My father asked lowly with a grin. I narrowed my eyes and said nothing.

"My familiars tell me you've had a young woman staying in your house. I hear she's a troubled one, at that. How do you think she's holding up without you? Like a baby duckling fares without their mother, I imagine."

I grit my teeth and glared at him. He was purposely trying to provoke me. He's probably had his familiars spying on me ever since I brought Ren to the mansion.

"A troubled soul who doesn't value her own life. Yet, she's managed to significantly impact yours. You seemed reluctant to become head of the family before...yet here you are. Is it because you want to get things done so you can return to her side?"

"What are you even saying, old man? Surely you have too high of hope for someone like me," I chuckled, denying his words openly.

"Well nonetheless, you have been exceptional these last few days. I could let you go if you're serious about that girl..."

"Oi, that's enough. Your voice is making me feel sick," I grunted in frustration. As always, he knew more than he should. Not like I was trying to hide it but it still bothered me that he checked up on her.

However, I sighed and relented. He wasn't wrong. I did want to leave and go back and see her. That alone was frustrating enough without him pointing it out. I guess I was just being immature.

"So are we done here? Can I go?" I asked, seeking confirmation from him. He laughed dryly and said, "Clearly you've already decided. Do as you wish. However, I expect full attention from you next time."

With a blank expression, I stood up and gave him one last hard look before disappearing. Now that he had managed to rile me up, I had no intentions of waiting any longer.

I had to face the facts. I couldn't turn a blind eye to Ren. I couldn't do it even before she made the effort to talk to me. This was something I had failed in suppressing.

As troublesome and annoying as it was, I do care about her even when I keep telling myself I don't.

But I'm afraid of what she will do with that information. She might even already know. She told me before that she's prepared to die no matter how satisfied she becomes. How could I have the audacity to ask her to change her mind?

Despite all these conflicting thoughts, there was one thing I knew. I needed to find her. My father's words lingered negatively in my mind. I hope she is okay...

---

No one's perspective

It didn't take long for Shu to return from the demon world. He decided to head home and rest up for a while before looking for Ren. He wouldn't know where to begin looking for her anyway. He figured he would look for her at school that night.

As he approached the mansion, he was greeted by Yui in the entrance hall. She wore a warm expression as she said, "Welcome back, Shu-san."

Shu nodded before walking past her and heading to his now vacant room. Sitting down on the bed, he placed his earbuds in his ears and began to play some music to calm down his adrenaline.