Chapter 27: Requited

"Hmm," Shu hummed as he concentrated on a book he was currently reading. He wasn't very much interested in books written by humans, however he was fascinated by the content of this one. It was the autobiography of a famous child prodigy. He had thought reading it would help him better understand what Ren was going through.

The sound of his phone ringing startled him from his daze, since rarely anyone ever called him. He peaked at the screen and lightly gasped in seeing the name that popped up on the screen. Ren.

He felt strangely nervous as he picked up the phone and answered, fearing that something might have happened if she was calling him, "Ren? What is it?"

The other end was quiet for a moment before a meek voice spoke, "Shu... It's been a while."

"Yeah," Shu mumbled out, suddenly feeling quite anxious, "How are you feeling?"

"Better. I really needed the rest. Umm...so..." she paused, as if searching for the right phrasing, "Hey...was it you who brought me to the nurses office today?"

"Yeah," Shu answered dully, "You were in pretty bad shape. You should take care of yourself more. Don't cause problems for others."

"Ah," Ren stumbled out, "Sorry..."

The line went quiet for several minutes before Shu sighed harshly and asked, "When can I see you? I have been trying to be patient but I'm getting irritated."

"Umm," Ren sighed as well before admitting, "Sorry Shu, I know I keep being difficult. I just don't really know what to say."

"I miss you," Shu said suddenly, throwing Ren off guard to hear such an honest expression leave his mouth of all places.

"Really?"

"Yeah and it's irritating so hurry up and come to where I am," his tone was harsh and impatient but knowing that he missed her made her feel kind of happy.

"Oi," he scolded, "What kind of punishment should I make for someone who makes me feel like this? Hurry up, idiot."

Ren chuckled as a smile crept on her face. Hearing his assertive tone had managed to cheer her up. Just hearing his smooth voice over the phone filled her with excitement.

"Okay, okay. I'll come over today to talk...by the way, thanks."

"For what?" He replied with a scoff.

"For pulling me out of my slump. I have something I'd like to show you as well."

"Oh? Are you trying to seduce me? Should I start feeling aroused hearing you say that to me over the phone?"

"Shu!" Ren chastised with a giggle. The sound of his laugh on the other line was like music to her ears. Her heart was pounding fast as well.

"I have some things to say too so I hope you'll listen," he said seriously before whispering, "hurry up now. See you," and hanging up.

Ren stood up and grabbed her bag before heading to the Sakamaki mansion.

~~~

As Shu waited in the rose garden, he felt restless. Sure, they were able to talk on the phone like normal, but it'd be different in person. He had thought over what he'd say countless times but he had no idea how she would react.

He stared a pale yellow rose before plucking it from the branch. Holding it in his hand, he observed the thorns with a bored expression, anxiously waiting for Ren's arrival.

After around fifteen minutes, Shu could make out her silhouette in the distance as her small figure made her way towards him. He swallowed in surprise as he noticed she appeared to be wearing make up, which was unusual for her.

As she approached, she wearily muttered, "Shu," with a guilty expression. Shu nodded in greeting before patting the stone wall where he was sitting, indicating she could sit down beside him.

She felt awkward but was surprised to find Shu equally as timid. She opened her mouth to utter the words, "I'm sorry."

Shu stared down at her with an empty expression before asking, "Could you elaborate on that? What are you apologizing for?"

She sighed almost sounding frustrated as she explained, "I'm sorry for avoiding you. What happened that day is my own issue and I didn't mean to make it seem like it was because of you. It definitely wasn't. I just realized my own faults."

Shu also sighs before admitting, "I also have something to apologize for."

Ren's eyes widen as she tilts her head in confusion, "Like what?"

"Look," he starts to say, his face contorted with apprehension as he states, "It might have been irresponsible of me to suddenly pursue you without telling you my intentions in advance. Being away from you made me realize that I took advantage of your innocence and that was kind of shitty of me. So sorry about that."

"What?" Ren asked in confusion, "What made you think something like that?"

"The look on your face that day," Shu mumbled, "I felt like I must have done something to make you hate me and that freaked me out."

Ren is shocked but pushes herself to ask him, "So what do you feel now?"

He looks away stubbornly before saying, "I don't want to lose you. I couldn't go back to the way things used to be even if I tried. It's frustrating that a mere human girl could make me feel like this."

"Wow," she lets out a slightly embarrassed laugh before saying, "I didn't think you would ever admit something like that. But honestly I feel the same. I spent all this time thinking that I was using you and I berated myself for it. But I didn't know how to stop myself. Your presence in my life has become my reason for staying alive. But I realize that kind of thinking is shallow. I need to grow up and rely on myself more often."

"So that's what you were worried about," Shu nodded before leaning down towards her face, meeting her eyes with his before he whispered, "But you don't need to think about those things. You can use me whenever you want."

Ren gasped as he suddenly placed his hand on her cheek and went on to say, "I have lived for hundreds of years. I am not as soft as a mere human. Be selfish. Use me to fill the void. All I ask is that you stay with me. That alone is enough to satisfy me. So stop worrying about the reason why you approached me and focus on what's next."

"And what is next?" Ren smirked as Shu inched closer to her, a cheeky grin on his face as he murmured, "That's up to you, jisatsu shoujo. Will you be mine?"

"That's not even a question," she laughed as he pulled her into a sweet kiss. It lingered for several moments before they pulled apart, both appearing to have felt an incredible sense of relief.

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Shu asked, "So what did you do in the time we were apart?"

"I was trying to focus on the little things I enjoyed. I ended up composing several pieces of music. Actually...there was one piece I would like to show you if you're willing to hear it," she answered somewhat shyly.

"Yeah, obviously. I never turn down good music," he stated bluntly as the two of them stood up and headed towards the piano inside the mansion.