Chapter 19: Killing Loneliness

Shu's perspective

It was early evening before school a week after meeting with Ren in the hospital. I was still reeling from the ten hour nap I had dedicated a majority of my time to. Wearily, I blinked and stared at the ceiling as I willed myself back into sentience.

I was having a good dream for once and wanted to keep it going for as long as possible. Now that I was awake, I could barely remember what it was even about, but it left me feeling somewhat anxious.

I rolled up off the ground and look around the large bedroom. I hadn't felt comfortable sleeping on the bed since I had returned from the demon world. Although Ren finally left the hospital yesterday, she was back to living with her family until she graduates.

I smirked, thinking back to the last time we spoke. Her face held so many expressions when I told her my intentions. God, how I wanted to devour her...

I didn't want to hold back anymore, but even now, I just couldn't think of a reason to ambush her. It was a conflicting feeling that was easy to ignore by oversleeping.

My mouth felt dry. It was a full moon tonight and I had a feeling it was to blame for this weird sensation that had come over me. I desperately wanted to feel another person's skin and yet I felt so docile about it.

I was losing myself in these thoughts when there was a buzzing sound coming from my cellphone. Leaning against the wall while sitting on the floor, I reached into my pocket and checked the phone to find a message.

A smile crept onto my face as I read it. It's almost as if she read my mind.

"Can I come over today? I really want to see you for some reason," Ren's words displayed on the screen. I lazily texted back, "Do what you want."

"Okay. I'll see you soon," she wrote in response. I chuckled to myself as I thought about how bold she was to visit a vampire during a full moon. Even if she was still crippled from her accident, I didn't intend to go easy on her. Today, I wanted to show her just how willing she was to be consumed by me. Whether she was aware of it or not, I would expose that part of her.

Without another thought, I stood up and sauntered to the entrance hall in anticipation of her arrival. While walking downstairs, Kanato happened to walking upstairs. He scowled as he passed by me and whispered, "The expression on your face is making me sick."

"Then don't look at it," I scoffed, shuffling past him. Not even Kanato's bad attitude could spoil the excitement I felt for the first time since I was young.

No one's perspective

Shu stood outside despite the somewhat cold temperature and waited for Ren to show up. Suddenly, he could hear a taxi pulling up to the mansion gates, where he could see Ren getting out with her crutches.

He walked over and observed as she leveled herself onto the ground before nodding at the driver to leave. As she looked up to see Shu, she smiled humbly and emitted a soft, "Hey."

"I'm surprised your parents would let you out at a time like this after you ran away for a month," he commented as she approached him rigidly. She let out a laugh and admitted, "Well, what they don't know won't hurt them."

Shu drew back with a teasing expression, "You wanted to see me so bad, you snuck out without telling anybody? Do you like me that much?"

She looked down at the ground and muttered, "It's not like that...I just felt really strangely tonight and I noticed it was a full moon. It felt really lonely staring at it. I was wondering if maybe a full moon has a similar effect on vampires."