Prologue/Chapter One

Jess plants a smile on her face and walks to the stage. She hugs Gavril warmly.

"Jessica, we have barely heard from you since your amazing eighteenth party! How has the adult life been treating you?"

Jess laughs and beams out to the audience. "Well, Gavril, it has certainly brought me some challenges, but I have been enjoying every second of it."

Gavril turns to the audience and spreads out his arms. "That's what we want to hear! Now, your Highness," he says, turning back to Jess. "What is this much-anticipated announcement you have to share?"

Jess smiles. "I'm glad you asked, Gavril. Today I am announcing..." she pauses for effect, looking around the room.

"You're killing us with the suspense!" Gavril chuckles jovially.

"Ready your applications, boys, because I am holding my very own Selection!" Jess announces.

The audience erupts into raucous applause, and Jess exits the stage while Gavril continues the Report.

Chapter One

Jess's mother, Queen America, sits down beside her daughter on a luxurious couch. "How are you feeling?" She asks kindly.

Jess pouts. "Nervous."

America plays gently with Jess's long, red hair. "You'll do fine. Tonight you'll just pick out the envelopes and read out the names, it's not hard."

"But then I have to choose a husband."

"Well, I suppose there is that," America laughs.

Jess rolls her eyes but laughs as well.

America stands up. "I'll see you at the Report tonight, my love."

Jess's eyes follow her mother as she walks away gracefully, her long dress trailing out behind her.

Her small black kitten jumps up onto the couch and nestles into Jess's lap, purring softly. Jess plays with the cat's hair. "You'll always stay with me, won't you, Ebs?"

Ebony sneezes in response.

The princess sighs. "I better get ready for this thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jess's maids bustle around her room busily, as she tries to get rid of all the knots in her hair, grunting angrily.

"Your Highness," A maid with curly black hair says, rushing over. "Let me brush your hair. I don't want to seem rude, but it looks like you're having... trouble."

Jess puts the brush down in defeat. "Thank you, Cara. I'd appreciate that."

Jess adjusts her seat so that Cara can work her magic.

Someone knocks on the door.

"I'd say come in," Jess says loudly. "But I'm in no position to be seen right now."

"I have a cat," a deep voice answers.

"You may enter!"

Officer Leger opens the door and smiles at Jess. "You look so much like your mother in that dress."

It's true; Jess styled her dress so that she could be just like her mother was on her first day.

But that's not what matters to Jess right now. "You said you have a cat. If I do not have a cat in my lap within the next two seconds, I will have to ask you to leave." She says in mock seriousness.

Officer Leger grins the side grin that all the women at the palace fall for, and he brings his arm in front of him to show a small white kitten.

Jess squeals and takes it gingerly. "Where did you find such a cutie?!"

"He snuck in through the washing," Officer Leger explains. "Probably just wanted a place to sleep, the poor fellow."

A maid runs into the room, breathless. "Your Highness! The Report is on air in two minutes!!"

Jess gasps. "Two minutes?!"

A very short maid about Jess's age quickly slips some heels on to Jess's feet.

"I'll take the cat to the kitchens where he can get some food." Officer Leger says, reaching for the ball of fluff.

Jess hugs the cat one last time before handing him over and sprinting to the TV room, calling over her shoulder "I CALL HIM IVORY!!!"

Jess stops outside the room to catch her breath, then she quietly slips through the doorway.

Just in time, too! Almost as soon as she makes it, Gavril's booming voice announces "and now we will hear an announcement from our dazzling princess!"

Jess walks on stage, her head held high. She smiles charmingly at Gavril and kisses him on the cheek. "Hello, Gavril, so good to see you!"

"And you, Princess! Are you ready?" he asks.

"I sure am!"

Palace workers roll several glass bowls full of envelopes on stage. Jess walks up to the first one and shakily reaches her hand in.

She takes an envelope out of each of the glass bowls before having thirty-five, crisp white envelopes set out on a table in front of her.

Gavril stands behind her as she fumbles with the seal of the first envelope.

Gavril holds the microphone in front of Jess.

"James Thompson, from Allens!"

There is a smatter of applause before she reads out the next name. "Elijah Adams, Clermont!"

A few more names follow. Joshua Reeds, Sebastion Henderson and Carter Washington, as well as a name that Jess had extreme trouble saying out loud, Alejandro Perez, from Bonita.

Finally having done all thirty-five names, Jess smiles at the camera, completely masking her weariness. "I look forward to meeting the contestants!" She says, before turning on her heel and sitting next to her mother on their throne.

"Where were you?" America hisses through her teeth, a perfect smile on her face.

"Trying to wrangle my hair that was, might I add," Jess replies, her expression matching her mother's, "inherited from YOU."

America chuckles quietly. "Touché."

"Stay tuned, Illéa!" Gavril beams from centre-stage.

"And, cut!" The cameraman shouts.

Jess groans and takes off her heels, rubbing her feet.

"My darling Ica,"

Jess looks up to see Maxon Schreave, her dad, smiling at her proudly. They embrace each other tightly. "I'm so, so proud of you, Jess." He says. "But if any one of those boys touch you or make you uncomfortable, I will have them exiled from the country immediately."

Jess laughs uncomfortably. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

Back in her room, Jess lays in her pyjamas on her large bed.

"Do you want some hot milo, Your Highness?" Cara asks.

Jess waves her hand. "I've lost my appetite. But thank you."

Cara bows out of the room.

"Wait!" Jess calls, after a second.

Cara rushes back into the room, blushing. "Yes, Your Highness?"

"Maybe some coffee?" Jess asks meekly.

Cara nods understandingly, fighting a smile. "Of course, Your Highness."

Jess sighs to herself. I'm gonna need a lot of coffee to get through this.