Chapter Six

Back in her room, someone knocks on the door.

Cara lifts up her head from where she is sewing a dress for tomorrow night's report. "Do you want me to get that, Your Highness?"

Jess puts down her book. "No, it's okay. I know who it is." She gets up and opens the door.

"Your Highness," Cole grins, his electric blue eyes sparkling. "You called?"

"Thank God," Jess says, relieved. "Come in,"

Cole enters Jess's room, looking around with his hands on his hips. "Not as spectacular as I thought."

Jess rolls her eyes. "Why, what were you expecting?"

Cole shrugs. "Thousands of portraits of dead monarchs, an army in your command, maybe a few more chandeliers, all that stuff."

Jess holds the bridge of her nose and mumbles, "Oh my god".

Making himself at home on Jess's bed, Cole turns his face into a serious expression. "So, what's the stress, Jess?"

Jess sits down beside him. "Please, I can't take you seriously when you're not smiling."

Cole's normal goofy grin returns. "Thank goodness, I was really struggling there. But, hey," he lowers his voice a bit. "You said something was wrong?"

Jess sighs. She really trusts Cole and feels at ease when she's with him. "I'm assuming you've seen the newspaper?" she says wearily.

Cole looks down and purses his lips. "Yeah, but that's none of my business."

"I didn't do anything with him, I swear," Jess rushes on. "But, the next morning I got this letter." She hands the letter to Cole, who reads it through, his eyebrow creased.

"J.L..." He says slowly. "Jack Lee?"

"I can only assume. Unless it's some palace staff, but I honestly don't know."

Cole cocks his head, deep in thought. "Jack is a pretty interesting fellow. He's really observant, he never falls victim to my buckets."

"Speaking of which. I've had some complaints about a certain someone setting pranks up around the palace?"

Jess smirks at Cole's guilty smile.

"I honestly find it hilarious," she continues. "But the poor victims do not."

Cole laughs. "I'm just a funny guy, and they're just too oblivious to realise that they're about to fall victim to."

Jess tries to stop herself from rolling her eyes but fails.

"He's in his room, you know,"

"Huh?"

"Jack Lee." Cole repeats. "He's in his room now, so you should go visit him. I can walk you there if you like," he jokes.

Jess sniffs. "I can go by myself." Then she puts her hands on Cole's. "But, in all seriousness, thank you for coming, I really appreciate it."

Cole smiles. He squeezes Jess's hands. "Just call if you need me, Jess. I can be your advisor!"

Jess snorts. "I'm pretty sure an advisor is meant to be reliable. But thanks for the offer."

Cole gets up from Jess's bed and they leave the room together, parting ways halfway.

Jess stands outside the door of Jack Lee's room. She takes a deep breath and knocks.

Almost immediately a butler swings the door open. "Your Highness," he bows.