Chapter Twenty-two

"Our families?" Jack nearly spits out his coffee. Spluttering, he puts the mug down. "What do y- our- my family... here?!"

Standing next to his bed, Jess clenches her jaw. "It's not my fault so don't shoot the messenger. It's a tradition that the Elite have done for generations,"

Jack closes his eyes for a second, measuring his breathing.

Softening, Jess takes Jack hand in hers. "I'm sorry about your dad, Jack. He doesn't deserve you,"

Squeezing her hands, Jack sends her a small smile. "I'll see if my grandfather can come. He's getting old, but he wouldn't want to miss a visit to the Palace,"

"Perfect,"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ten!?" Maxon exclaims.

Jess laughs awkwardly and rubs the back of her neck. "Yeah, so, uh, maybe we'll need a few extra rooms..."

The King sits back in his chair, an incredulous expression on his face. He takes off his glasses. "Ten siblings," he repeats.

Grimacing, Jess nods.

Maxon massages his forehead. "And I thought one was hard work. Imagine having eleven!"

"Excuse me?" Jess crosses her arms. "I am an angel!"

"An angel who's picky with food," Maxon scoffs.

Jess opens her mouth to argue when a prompt knock on the door interrupts her. Trading eye contact with Maxon, she says, "Come in,"

The door swings open. "Guess who's back, baby!"

Jess jumps up, a massive smile spread across her face. "WESS!!" She runs across the room and crushes the girl in a big hug. "Oh my god! Hi!!"

The Italian princess squeezes Jess back, squealing just as much as her. "Is this a cliche entrance and greeting?"

Laughing, Jess shrugs. "I mean..."

Alessia flicks her curly brown hair over her shoulder. "I was going to have more confetti, a couple of chandeliers, blasting music and a few cherubs but I decided to just knock."

"Wow," Jess can't help but grin ear-to-ear.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Alessia questions, scrunching up her face.

"I'm just... so happy that you're here," Jess says honestly, shaking her head while getting a good look at her best friend.

Alessia's thin, frizzy curls float around her small, pale frame that she got from the other side of her family, not from her golden-skinned mother. Her dark brown eyes sparkle with humour. "Ahh, same!! How long has it been?"

Jess stands back, furrowing her eyebrows, thinking. "God, it must've been my eighteenth... I didn't even get to come to yours!"

For the longest time, the two princesses had conjoined birthday parties given they were only born a few weeks apart.

"It's okay," Alessia shakes her head, smiling. "It was hardly a celebration - besides, I was watching yours as it streamed while pigging out on some ice cream,"

Maxon stands and smiles warmly. "Welcome back! Are your parents here?"

"No, it's just me," Alessia explains, attempting to tame her hair with a hair tie. "Mamma and Papá are with Avalon, preparing for her coronation. Olive is... somewhere." She laughs. "They're all still in Italy, in answer to your question,"