Chapter Twelve - Part One

Jess moves her fingers into the soft covers and yawns. She doesn't open her eyes, still very tired, and after lying down for a couple of seconds the memories of yesterday's events come flooding in.

Her eyes fly open and she looks beside her.

Andrew's eyelids are lightly closed as he breathes in deeply, his chest rising and falling. His arm is still underneath Jess's head, his other hand limp next to her. He fell asleep stroking her hair.

Jess tries not to make any noise as she fights down a blush. Her eyes float up the wall, searching for her clock.

7:14am, it reads.

She puts a hand over her mouth when she squeaks. Andrew was in her bed all night. Oh my god.

Andrew moves, and Jess's eyes fly back to his peaceful face. He cracks open an eye. "Good morning, Princess," he smiles sleepily. "Did you rest well?"

"Yes," Jess admits, somewhat guiltily. That was the best sleep she's had in ages.

Andrew sits up and rubs his eyes. "I woke up about an hour ago but I didn't dare wake you," 

Jess chuckles. "Wise decision, Mr Davis." She runs her fingers through her hair, and they get stuck in a knot. She sighs annoyedly and tries to tug her fingers through.

"Where's your brush?" Andrew asks nonchalantly.

Jess gives up on the first strand and combs her fingers through another, but it gets stuck again. She makes a frustrated noise. "Top drawer of my dresser,"

Andrew gets off the bed.

"WHY is hair LIKE THIS?" Jess complains. "I should just shave it all off, then I won't have to care about it," She goes to sweep up her hair in a ponytail, but something tugs at the very tips. "What-"

"Stay still," Andrew instructs. He works from the bottom up, slowly getting out the knots.

Jess doesn't move. She scrunches up her face. "You don't have to-"

"All finished," Andrew sets the brush down on the bedside table.

Self consciously, Jess puts her hair over her shoulder and fiddles with it. "Well... thank you. And thanks for staying,"

Andrew gives Jess a small smile, standing and straightening his suit. "I'll be going now, I'm sure you have a lot to do. I'll see you later, Jess,"

"Bye!"

Three maids come slinking into Jess's room from the back corridor, trying to look inconspicuous. They glance at Jess and quickly look away again.

Jess rolls her eyes. "How much do you want to know?"

Tamika and Cara come bouncing over to the bed, squealing. The third maid, Justine, rolls her eyes playfully. "You two..."

"Oh, Your Highness!!" Cara cups her cheeks with her hands. "Everything!!"

"Tell us every detail!!" Chimes in Tamika, her dimples peeking out of her light brown cheeks.

Fighting down a blush, Jess rolls her eyes again. "Well, his name i-"

"Andrew Davis!! The most handsome!!" Cara squeals. She turns red.

"We may or may not know all about him," Tamika admits sheepishly.

"They won't be quiet about him, Your Highness," Justine shakes her head, but she looks at the other two maids tenderly.

Jess closes her eyes for a second, embarrassed but pleased. "I assume you heard about the happenings of yesterday?" Taking Cara's scowl as a yes, the princess continues. "Well Andrew escorted me up to my room, then went and got my parents - they totally flipped, by the way - and then mum went off somewhere, muttering, then-" she stops and turns pink.

Cara cups her cheeks again.

Tamika stares at Jess, eyes wide. "Did you... kiss?"

Not even Justine utters a word as the three maids wait for their princess's reply.

Jess covers her face with her pale hands, and nods.

The two maids squeal excitedly. Tamika starts jumping up and down, grabbing Justine's hands.

The blood rushes to Justine's cheeks, but no one takes any notice of it.

Cara hugs Jess very unprofessionally, but Jess squeezes her back.

"And then what, Princess Jessica?" Tamika says, looking at Jess with wide, innocent eyes.

"Well... I fell asleep," Jess laughs. "And he stayed here-"

"ALL NIGHT!!" Tamika claps and giggles. "Oh, Your Highness, I envy you! You're so close with all these handsome men, and they're just begging for your hand!" She turns to Justine, eyes sparkling. "Don't you agree?"

"Yes... men..." she says awkwardly. "Very... nice bunch."