Chapter Eleven - Part Two

Jess is wearing simple deep blue jeans and a white shirt that comes in just above her elbows. Because the press is going to be there, she puts on a beautiful small statement necklace. She ties her hair up in an intricate ponytail with the help from Cara and sets on her way after pulling on a pair of boots with tiny heels.

Jess turns a corner and is immediately greeted with six boys.

Somebody with flaming red hair runs up to Jess. "Jessica, you're here!" Christion says happily.

"Your Highness, Jessica!!" Alejandro beams from his spot on a picnic blanket. "Come sit next to me!"

"Hi, Christion, Alejandro," Jess says, a little overwhelmed.

A couple of metres away is a small tennis court: on the far side is Andrew and someone Jess barely knows - Darren, maybe - and on the other is Cole and Benjamin Hall.

Cole thwacks the ball across the court, then lays his eyes on Jess. A massive smile spreads across his face. "Look who made it!"

"Who-" The boy Jess doesn't know begins. Then the ball smacks against his leg and he jumps to the side. "Ow!"

They all put down their rackets and walk over to Jess.

"Good afternoon, Jessica," Andrew smiles. He runs his hand through his sweaty hair and stretches his arms.

Benjamin comes trotting over, breathing heavily and extremely red. "Hi, Jess... glad you... glad you made it," he pants.

Jess laughs but takes a subtle step backwards. She accidentally steps onto somebody's foot and gasps. "Sorry-"

Cole laughs, holding Jess upright so that she doesn't fall over. "Calm down, it's fine! No injuries sustained, see?" He holds out his leg.

This is the first time Jess has seen Cole in shorts - the first time she's actually seen his legs. And damn. She blushes pink and determinedly looks away. "Oh, hi!"

The last boy stands awkwardly behind Christion, scratching his sweaty head. He blushes. "Oh, uh-"

Jess regains her composure and walks over to him. "I don't believe I've formally met you, yet,"

He nods, pink. "Aaron - um, A-Aaron from... from Belcourt," He sticks out a stiff hand for Jess to shake, but notices the thin layer of sweat that had formed. He promptly pulls it back. Instead, he nods awkwardly.

"This is a nice setup you guys have, here," Jess says, sitting down on the picnic blanket. She tucks her feet beneath her smoothly, and the six boys sit down next to her, the sweaty Benjamin on her left and Alejandro on her right.

Cole hands around a container of strawberries, leaning down to allow people to pick out a couple.

Jess happily plucks out two strawberries. "What inspired you guys to start this?"

"We felt bad for Aaron," Cole whispers in her ear when he stoops down for Alejandro.

Jess giggles, and Benjamin eyes Cole suspiciously.

"We thought it would be nice," Alejandro replies. "The gardens are very pretty!"

Christion nods, enthusiastic as always. "Can you play tennis, Princess Jess?"

She laughs nervously. "Uhh, good question...?"

The hours pass and the guys get a sneak-peak into Jess's competitive streak. She even takes off her shoes at one point, determined to flaunt victory in Cole's face.