Chapter Eighteen

Everyone intensely focuses on eating their breakfast, pretending not to look at the two boys who Jess was talking to outside the breakfast room.

"Thank you, Jayden, Aidan and Cameron," Jess says, trying her best not to feel bad. In all honesty, the three boys standing in front of her just never caught her interest. Except for when Aidan made a joke about 'who will get the crown' on the very first day. He can go fuck himself. "Your flights back to your province will be arranged this afternoon, so please say goodbye to those you wish. Your families will be very proud that you have made it this far," She smiles venomously at Aidan.

The three boys leave, and soon the chatter fills the room again.

Jess makes her way around the table until she's behind a fairly tall boy with glasses. "Mr Washington, good morning!"

Carter turns around. "Your Highness,"

"Are you ready to go?"

He stands up and easily exceeds Jess's height. "Certainly,"

A few boys wave as the two exit the hall, calling encouragement and banter.

"You got this, mate!"

"Yes, boy!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jess gently pushes the ball with her golf stick. It stops just short of the makeshift flag. "God dammit," she curses.

Carter's face relaxes into a smile. He knocks his ball and it falls straight in.

Jess looks at him in disbelief. "How do you always manage to get it in? I swear, you're not human,"

He laughs. It's a gentle sound. "I'm not sure. I've just been brought up with no choice but to succeed,"

"You're telling me!" The princess sighs dramatically. She hits the ball and watches it miss the hole again.

Carter steadies his stick, squinting his unique eyes, and Jess watches him. He's seems so much more relaxed, she can actually see some personality behind those glasses of his. From what she's seen so far, Carter - though still crazy intelligent - is kind and humble, and has never once bragged about the high position of his family.

Jess tries to think of how to phrase her question. "Carter..."

He looks up. "Yes?"

"The more I get to know you, the less..." she winces at her word choice. "Uptight you become. Why is that?"

Carter sighs and subtly looks around. "You see..." he rubs his neck and adjusts his glasses. "All my life I've had to be the best. There is no other option. With a family as prestigious as mine, I have to live up to every expectation that has been put on my shoulders. I haven't had much time for trivial friendships or any strong connections." Abandoning the game, the two young adults sit down on a nearby set of armchairs.

Carter continues. "Being surrounded by so many young men my age is a new experience, I... I don't know how to act around them. I need to uphold my parents' reputation, I can't let them down. I-" He stops himself.

"Keep going its okAY," Jess encourages.

Carter clenches his jaw and then relaxes again. "For so many years I've just moulded myself into what they wanted to be, I am nothing but a piece of clay with a prestigious name and wealthy parents. I don't know who I am anymore,"

Jess doesn't know what to say.

Carter stands from his chair. "I apologise for randomly stating such personal information, that was very unprofessional-"

"No," the Princess says. She looks up into Carter's curious face. "Don't be sorry. You need to let out your feelings more, you need a friend,"

Carter purses his lips. "You think so?" he says quietly.

Overcome with sympathy for the poor boy, Jess slides her arms around him and hugs him tightly.

Carter tenses up, not knowing what the princess is doing. "Your Highness...?"

Jess doesn't let go. "Just Jess."