Chapter Thirteen - Part One

Just before she opens the door, Jess fixes her headband-tiara in the mirror.

She swings the door open and smiles shyly. "Hi, Evan,"

He bows, a hand behind his back. "Your Highness," he brandishes some lovely flowers and presents them to the princess.

Jess cups her cheeks. "Aww, thank you!" She accepts the flowers and stands awkwardly with them, not knowing what to do with them. "Do... should I take them with me, or..."

Evan shrugs, shoving his hands in his pockets.

Wait, Jess says to herself. She eyes Evan and then the flowers warily. There could be cameras... I don't want to risk it. She quickly ducks back into the room and puts the flowers on her desk, then closes the door behind her and smiles at her suitor. "Here we go!"

Evan smiles as well, but his eyes betray him. He avoids looking at Jess.

Realising she did something wrong, Jess tries to think of a way to cheer him up. Blushing slightly, she goes on to her tiptoes and kisses him on the cheek. "Ready?"

Evan's eyes widen. His hand flies up to his face, but he disguises it as a head scratch. "Uhm - yes -" He clears his throat. "R-Ready."

They walk down the hallway in silence, until Jess asks Evan a question.

"Have you ever been on a date?"

He shakes his head. "I haven't, no,"

Jess smiles supportively. "That's alright," she assured. "I'm honoured to be your first,"

Evan laughs quietly in one syllable, fiddling lightly with his earlobe.

"And who else gets to say that their first date was with a princess?" The young monarch raises her eyebrows and smiles at the tall boy.

Evan smiles widely, two dimples showing on either of his cheeks. "True,"

Heart fluttering, Jess opens the door to the large room.

The shelves of dark brown wood tower over the young adults, hundreds of books - some leatherbound with yellowing pages, others new and crisp - just waiting to be read.

Evan closes his eyes and breathes in deeply. He sighs.

Not wanting to intrude on anything, Jess remains silent. She watches as Evan's eyes - a stunning sapphire, she notices - wander around the large room, as he takes it all in.

He catches her looking and smiles, somewhat embarrassed. "'So, what- what do you want to do?"

She bites her lip, thinking. "I have an idea,"