Chapter Fifteen

"Yikes," America chews on her lip. "So... what are you going to do?"

"I was hoping that you would help me with that," Jess says annoyedly, beginning to freak out.

America flips her red hair over her shoulder and pulls up her sleeves. "Alright, I'll see what I can get out of them,"

Jess stares.

America stares back.

Jess squints.

"So... no maiming?" America says slowly.

"No maiming, Mum."

Sensing someone's presence, Jess turns around to see Ruby Phillips looking somewhat apologetic.

"My apologies, Your Highness," she says, dipping her head slightly. "But I couldn't help but overhear as, well, you didn't move very far."

Jess feels herself freeze, realising her mistake. She looks at America, who shrugs.

The young woman continues. "I do believe that I could be of some assistance, if I may?"

Not wanting to give up so easily, but realising she has no other options, Jess waves for Ruby to continue.

"I can get a hold of any potentially embarrassing photos in no time at all with simple persuasive techniques," she begins, slightly bouncing on the balls of her feet. "And, even if they managed to keep some from me, I have contacts in the editing industry who would take pleasure in completing an errand for Her Highness." She smiles brightly, her grey-hazel eyes shining.

America smirks. "Oh, she's good."

"Thank you!" Ruby bobs her head respectfully to her Queen before turning to Jess. "So, would you like me to go ask? If that doesn't work, I have also spent multiple years learning and studying martial arts. It wouldn't be too hard to get something out of them,"

Jess blinks, dubious. She looks from American to Ruby. "Sorry, but did we hire an Advisor or a bodyguard-secret-assassin-wizard with a degree in psychology?"

"Psychology and Social-Behavioural Studies," Ruby adds, helpfully.

"Alright, I've made a decision." America says with measured force. She gestures with a thin, pale hand to Ruby. "Lady Ruby, it would be much appreciated if you made sure those photos don't make it out to the general public, thank you."

Ruby nods.

"And Jess," America faces her daughter, staring intensely at her. Her eyes flick to something behind Jess, then back at her. "You still have someone who needs you, so I'll let you deal with that. Other than that, we should be fine here. That will be all."

Sensing the Queen's finality, Ruby promptly marches out of the room, and America leaves right after her, both of them parting different ways down the hallway. That leaves Jess.

Jess and Alejandro.

"Oh, ah," she walks back over to him. "Sorry about... that."

Alejandro shakes his head, smiling, rubbing his shoulder. "It's alright, it seemed important."

Jess laughs awkwardly. "Hope you weren't waiting too long..."

"Yeah..."

They both sit in their sad puddle of awkwardness before Jess glances at the clock hanging up on the wall. "Ah, you should probably be going now. I'll escort you back to you room, if you like,"

Alejandro's face lights up. "Yes! Uh, I mean, yes. That would be... good."

They're both quiet for a second before they burst into laughter.

"We really need to work on not being awkward, don't we?" Alejandro laughs as they exit the room.

"You know what," Jess says thoughtfully. "I think I'll have to agree with that statement, Mr Perez."

Their laughter echoes off the marble walls as they walk up the stairs, finding the ears of many different people.

"Do you hear that?" Chase Ramirez asks, desperate to escape work. He, Carter and Robert are sitting around a table working on an assignment in the Men's Room when the noise reaches them.

"That would be laughter, Ramirez," Robert says, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

Carter looks up from his book, his glasses slightly bent. Would that be...?

"Let's get back to work, or Sir Thomas is gonna have our hides," Robert warns, putting Chase's pen that he dropped back in his hand. "Right, Carter?"

"We've done what we can for today," Carter dismisses, not really paying attention. He stands up and begins to gather his gear. "I have some important matters to attend to,"

Chase grins smugly. "You heard the man! See ya later, Robbie boy!" He thwacks Robert lightly across the head, messing up his slicked back hair, as he all but skipped out of the room.

Robert looks around incredulously while trying to slick his hair back again. "Where did you guys- we've barely started! H-HEY!!"